Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Thread - I got mine yesterday. I put some silicone grease on all the o-rings. they seem like not great quality but they seem to be working. I ran it for 1 hour in a bucket of water, the light seemed to be dimmer after 1 hour. I am planning a 40m dive tomorrow, so I will bring it.

How does the front seal work - mine has just an outer black ring that screws down directly onto a plastic lens - seems like it will easily leak as the pressure increases - I guess I will find out tomorrow

The one I had flooded at the front seal. The ring is lose when shipped so make sure it is tight before your first dive. My first dive was a 100 ft dive so that didn't help any!

Hi, I just got this light too. I took apart the plastic lens and found a broken o-ring around the metallic part that separates the light beams. Any idea if this is an issue? I turned it on the light and put it in my sink but did not see any issues so far. I guess I will see once I get down to 40ft.

Thanks!

---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

Hey Spoolin - I saw the same thing with the thin broken o-ring. Did you find to be a problem? Thanks.

I brought mine down to 40m last sunday, it has now totalled 16 dives. A few scratches on the aluminum, gift from the wreck Espingole, but still no leak whatsoever. Burn-in time is done.

I am considering to buy a few for buddies, wife, and a second for myself. And am now wondering about a few things:

* is there an ultraviolet flashlight head that will fit nicely in this lamp (and is compatible with the 4.2V ICR battery and magnetic switch) ?

* It may give good video light without the reflector, has anyone tried that ?

* There is now a new version on ebay that has no recess in the handle, and radiator blades on the head. Is this one solid as well ?

There seems to be a hit on "10w 3x 365nm UV led black light" for heads that have 3 leds in the same arrangement... and there is a simple guide on how to do this kind of modification for a smaller torch at
UV / Fluorescent SCUBA Dive Light (Trivial)
but I would much rather have this mod on my trusted no-brand/lixada torch.

Last edited:
Hi, I just got this light too. I took apart the plastic lens and found a broken o-ring around the metallic part that separates the light beams. Any idea if this is an issue? I turned it on the light and put it in my sink but did not see any issues so far. I guess I will see once I get down to 40ft. Thanks! ---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 04:54 PM ---------- Hey Spoolin - I saw the same thing with the thin broken o-ring. Did you find to be a problem? Thanks.
I haven't had mine in water yet, there are still some tests I want to do and this project has sat for awhile. I can only guess that that o-ring is to prevent contact of the metal reflector with the emitter board, or perhaps to keep it from rotating slightly from a position with the emitters centered in their holes. I must have set the o-ring from mine aside, it's not there now, but the reflector doesn't rattle or seem to move without it. Maybe I should find it or another in case the electrical isolation is important.

4 dive completed with this light now. 2x40m, 1x30m & 1x20m. worked perfect no issues

2 on the way, they'll see 40 meters or better, and inside a wreck or 2 in December

Bought three of them based on this thread, one has arrived, I also bought extra o-rings(various sizes based on this thread).
The o-rings that were on it on arrival were as follows:
In front of battery: 2x21mm and 1.5x24mm (EDIT: Actually, they seem to be thinner than this. probably something like 1.8x21 and 1.3x24, the groves are the same diameter, the outer o-ring just has to stretch more, but 2x21mm and 1.5x24mm o-rings will still allow screwing it shut, if barely, I'm not sure wether this is better or worse for waterproofing).
Behind battery: 2x25mm(2) (EDIT: probably a little thinner actually)

They're significantly stretchier than the Buna-N 70 o-rings I got from the o-ring store.

There's also a large opaque white o-ring behind the "glass"(plastic) at the front, which I'm not sure the dimensions of, but looks like about 2x51-52mm, it's oversized for the grove it's in though, looks like it should be 2x50mm.

So far I've only had the chance to do a sink test, which it passed easily, still dry inside, though a tiny drop got past the outer o-ring at the front. I'm still waiting for my silicone grease, it looks like it'll easily hold tight with a little more of that.

Oh and the beam looks pretty good with the Foxnovo 5000mAh batteries I got from amazon(the seller of the keeppower ones didn't ship to Sweden). Not as blindingly bright as I expected from the talk here, but should do the job.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2015 at 04:00 PM ----------

Update, edited: Looks like there's a short circuit or other similar electrical problem in the flashlight. The batteries work just fine as long as I don't screw everything all the way in. Someone mentioned the front spring as the possible culprit... I'm currently considering wether I should try modifying the springs or sending it back to seller.

Last edited:
I received mine promptly from the Hacienda Heights seller and before use decided to read up on the forum. After thorough inspection I noticed that I am missing the o-ring completely between the top of the light and the reflector. I have written the seller and am waiting for a response. I did a quick water test and pulled the light out after seeing some air bubbles escape from this area. I also went to Radio shack and picked up the de batteries on sale, it was $9.95 for the first 2 and $4.99 for the 2nd. I ended up with 4 26650 batteries for $15 plus tax. Now I need to buy some more lights and get this one water proof. Does anyone have the exact size on the upper o-ring? I believe it is white in many instances. Light has been on for 1 hour on high to test battery strength, still going strong. It will be interesting to see how long this battery and light combination can go. The light is very warm to the touch though.
Thanks
John

---------- Post added October 20th, 2015 at 12:18 PM ----------

Radioshack battery lasted about 1:15 before getting noticeably dimmer. 1 hour is what I am looking for so this will work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom