Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jim,

Regarding the front glass Oring, do you mean the white axial seal, right below the glass lens? I've attached a picture of the seal I'm talking about. Shortly, did you grease this Oring as well? I was wondering shall I grease it or not, because it is different type of seal (it seals glass and aluminium, not aluminium and aluminium).

Regards,
Nick

Seal.jpg

I've now purchased 3 of them. One of mine has 10 dives on it so far and has held up great even being dragged through narrow doorways on wrecks.

The only problem I've had is that after some time the light would start cutting through the braided nylon cordage I had holding it at the butt of the light. That hole seems to have some awfully sharp edges on mine. Going to file it down and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jim,

Regarding the front glass Oring, do you mean the white axial seal, right below the glass lens? I've attached a picture of the seal I'm talking about. Shortly, did you grease this Oring as well? I was wondering shall I grease it or not, because it is different type of seal (it seals glass and aluminium, not aluminium and aluminium).

Regards,
Nick

View attachment 215264

I found (at least in my case) that the bezel in the front was not tight. It did seep slightly from that seal initially but after letting it dry, greasing the ring and putting it back together, no more problems in the following dozen dives down to 100 feet. It's just a spot to keep an eye on when doing maintenance.

I didn't know the reflector would come out... Hmmm.. I wonder what the pattern of the light is with the reflector removed (provided it'll still seal in the front).

Jim

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 10:52 AM ----------

As I mentioned I didn't know the reflector would come out... I just took it out and viewed the pattern it threw. Not too bad. It might work for a close-up video light. I also noticed that there was a lot of salt corrosion between the reflector and the housing that obviously came from the leakage I had in Roatan. I'm going to have to clean that up.

Thanks for the disassembly picture....

Jim

That's a good point jimbeeler. Better now than in a hotel room.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

The only problem I've had is that after some time the light would start cutting through the braided nylon cordage I had holding it at the butt of the light. That hole seems to have some awfully sharp edges on mine. Going to file it down and see if that helps.

I forgot to mention this.... That sharp hole at the bottom of the light cut through the cordage in one dive trip. I'm very lucky I didn't lose the light. I took my dremmel tool to the sharp edges and hopefully that'll resolve the problem.

Jim

I have over 100 dives one the 2 I own now since I started this post and they are still working great! I did not modify or file anything or grease any ring... From the box to the water as is.

I have ordered more of these and use them as my primary...princeton tec been sitting around!

Has anyone found a grip mount for a gopro that one of these lights will slide into? I want to take better video & stills but not ready for the big tray setup. I've seen grips but none that accommodate a flashlight other than diy.

I built one... There is a photo of it on this thread...

Jim....

Got one off ebay from CA vendor since there are so many positive response here. I didn't have very good luck on ebay lights that claim to be dive lights.

I think the rotating switch is stable enough. I had tried swithes that are both more or less tighter than this & both turned out to be a pain.

I did encounter a problem so wanted to ask if it's just that I might have a defective unit.

After placing the a 26550 battery and fasten both ends completely, I found that the light would flicker if I tap at the back end of it suggesting a loose circuit in my light. Could also hear some rattling when tapped. The light doesnt go out. But I'm hesitant to count this as my primary light given this fact.

Could one of you guys try this out & report back?

Also, comparing the beam to my video lights. It is not as broad as video lights but reaches further probably in part to the deflector design.

Thanks

All 26650 batteries are not created equal. You'll see various different lengths. If you take a thin piece of sheet metal you can shim the battery on the negative side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom