Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Radioshack had the 2 pack of 26650 de batteries for $9.99, 2nd pair 1/2 off. My test was 1:15 on the highest setting. The 26650 from LiionWhosale were $22 shipped for the pair and went 1.5 Hours on the highest setting. I am using the Newer Nitecore dual charger that allows dual charging of 26650 batteries and displays voltage, from amazon, price was under $15.

what brand 26650's is everyone using and charger for this setup?

Further update on mine: the problems I was having wasn't caused by the spring or the battery, but by the rear screw thread, which is used to conduct current from the negative pole of the battery. The thread is both too loose, and was covered with non-conductive black lacquer. After scraping some lacquer off, it's much better. The power switch is also loose, as in the grove/mechanism to hold it in place is missing(I didn't know it wasn't designed to be loose until I got the other two that weren't).

However my other 2 flashlights, of the same type, and from the same vendor, have arrived. Neither have any of these problems, they seem to be flawless. So it looks like the first one I recieved was simply an unluckily defective one.

I haven't done a burn test yet, but that's coming soon. Using Foxnovo 5000mAh 26650 batteries and a Nitecore D2 charger(it was recommended somewhere, here or on candlepowerforums).

Burn test interupted after 45 minutes because the flashlight was getting quite hot(certainly over 40°C, I estimate around 45°C), and I was worried about safety. I'm sure that aspect will be less of a problem under water. It hadn't lost more than 10% light at most, at that point, if any. So, thumbs up for the Foxnovo batteries so far.Test was performed at maximum power setting.

FWIW: Fill your sink up with water and then perform your burn test.

I've also done them in a tupperware dish full of icewater.. lots of ways to skin that cat :)

Many lights will detect an overheat condition and reduce power output... which will invalidate runtime test results.

After playing with them for a few days, the 5k claim is an absolute joker. But we knew that. They're pretty close to my 1k lumen lights from known manufacturers. Slightly better, but not much.

FWIW: Fill your sink up with water and then perform your burn test.
Well, 45 minutes is good enough for where I'm going next week anyway, since that's the standard night dive time there. The water temperature is around 28°C there though, hopefully that's enough cooling.

So field tests are incoming.

Further update on mine: the problems I was having wasn't caused by the spring or the battery, but by the rear screw thread, which is used to conduct current from the negative pole of the battery. The thread is both too loose, and was covered with non-conductive black lacquer. After scraping some lacquer off, it's much better.

Have you managed bring to work order this problematic one?
Maybe I'm unlucky or something else. Have second one with this same problem. When I screw it tight like should be, no light.
Spent half hour today cleaning thread from black paint, till not working. Just started thinking I'm the only one with this problems here :)
Have 2 brand new Foxnovo 26650 batteries, so it's not battery problem.
Any advice?
Thanks

I used the 4 that I have in Bonaire and loved them.. Best money spent on dive gear in a long time...

Jim...

The one I bought (with the brightness slider) started having problems at Scubaboard's Fallfest Megadive. I haven't investigated yet, but the light would blink at irregular times. I ended up tying it to a tree stump and diving a different light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom