Dive light from E-Bay -- Great buy!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick update on the e-bay light. Did 2 dives yesterday at the Northern Channel Islands. One on Santa Cruz one on Anacapa.
Both dives were in thick kelp beds with very low light conditions both at 60'.

Light worked great.

Guy I dove with had a canister light and could not believe my cheap e-bay light was so much brighter than his canister.

Did not change out the 26650 battery during the dive and after getting home and rinsing off the light it still had a very bright beam.
Did a quick check for leaks and bone dry on the inside!

Received my light from the eBay seller in California. Light was shipped out quickly.

The light definitely has the right output and works with the unprotected 26650 cells I have on hand.

Have not had it underwater yet so can't comment on practical use. I will say that my complaint about the light is the cheap bezel style switch. It's a sloppy fit and I'm not sure how it will wear over time but at $25 it's replaceable.

Light feels like a great buy and I look forward to putting it through its paces.

I haven't had time to go through the entire thread yet (at work atm). Can someone suggest which batteries to buy and a decent place to get them from?

Hi Staggs, I'm the original poster... I have been using radio shack 26650 and no problems!

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2015 at 08:50 PM ----------

Received my light from the eBay seller in California. Light was shipped out quickly.

The light definitely has the right output and works with the unprotected 26650 cells I have on hand.

Have not had it underwater yet so can't comment on practical use. I will say that my complaint about the light is the cheap bezel style switch. It's a sloppy fit and I'm not sure how it will wear over time but at $25 it's replaceable.

Light feels like a great buy and I look forward to putting it through its paces.

The switch is made like that so that it works at depth and it's also magnetic... I have been using it on many dives and had no problems with it yet...

Hi Staggs, I'm the original poster... I have been using radio shack 26650 and no problems!

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2015 at 08:50 PM ----------

The switch is made like that so that it works at depth and it's also magnetic... I have been using it on many dives and had no problems with it yet...

I hope you guys report back when you experience a flood (if you did not replace the crappy o-rings) or when the switch fails because the magnet rusts out (replacements on ebay). Or other failure modes. Still beats the hell out of $600 lights for occasional recreational night dives.

Awap,

My 2 cheap ($25) Chinese E-Bay lights have both been down to 156FSW (more then the manufacturers recommended depth) and so far I have no complaints... I won't be pushing them deeper though. They already have 20+ dives on them. Should they fail, I will be the first to mention it here... I've been using them as secondary lights as I do own a $600 Hollis canister light also. BTW, the $25 lights sure beat the $600 canister light as they are much brighter.

Well, count me as another one who got sucked in into this one…..or in all honesty, one who couldn’t pass up a bargain. So thanks to all who have posted with all the good info. And, especially Peter, who started this great thread. Peter, if you’re ever in Boston, there will be a couple of Kane’s donuts for you.

I bought the light from the eBay seller listed by Peter in post #57 ($26). I got the charger (without car adapter) and the TrustFire 4000mAH 3.7V batteries ($22 and $14, respectively, with shipping) from LIION Wholesale, as listed by Jim in post #29 and Don in post #65.

Now, some of observations from playing with this light as it relates to what others have posted.

Unfortunately, mine will not see action in salt water until November, but it did ace the kitchen sink test. I will put in my BC pocket for the salt water test on shallow dives off of Montauk this summer.

I’ve observed the same shoddy workmanship as others have, but I keep reminding myself that this is a $26 toy. As noted by Jim and by Don, there were burrs, dirt, oil, and/or chips on the threads. This puts the O-rings at risk because O-ring removal and reinsertion requires that they pass over the threads. I did some light filing to remove the burrs. I followed with a wire brush, then cleaned the threads, O-ring grooves and the corresponding sealing surfaces with acetone and then water.

My light doesn’t have the small glow in the LEDs when in the OFF position as noted by Jim in post #42, but it flickers as I turn the end cap. My gut feel is that we both have faulty ON-OFF switches, but the light itself works fine otherwise, so I’ll live with the flickers.

I view the front cover lens seal – as noted by Spoolin01 in post #32 - as a weak link as well, even tho many have dived with the light without any issues. The only advantage that I see in the current design is that you can easily replace the cover lens. I’m thinking of maybe running two beads of rubber sealant around the lens and making it part of the front screw-in cap, similar to the one-piece caps on dive lights such as the smaller Princeton-Tecs that you turned on by screwing the cap in. I would also add an O-ring just behind the threads. By doing this, I think that I’d gain a second line of defense against leakage into the reflector and LED assembly.

This light will make a good dive light, I have no doubt. Others have already noted the long burn times and it is brighter than any of the lights I’ve ever had: UK-600R, Brightstar and my current Sola.

Whether it makes a good video light – I’m not sure. It is wide enough but the triple “halos” or gradations in brightness is less than desirable unless maybe shooting very tight macro. Putting a diffuser in front of the lens helps – something like a piece cut out of the plastic diffuser panels they use on hung ceiling fluorescent lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom