dive knifes in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover:
On the serious side - I was required to purchase gloves for my wreck dive, but now it would seem they they may or may not be banned. If so, I want to return them, since the only reason I got them was for the wreck dive.

They required you purchase gloves? Wow....you don't need them, seriously...return them, especially as you will never be allowed to wear them on Bonaire!

Also in all seriousness, people have lost thier marine park tag (gotten it taken away) for breaking marine park rules and lost their diving privelages. Some have even had their equipment taken and stored until their departure date for breaking marine park rules. They take protection of the reef seriously.

Just take them with ya. Ask before you dive the wreck. We dove on the Hooker and it was great. But was told no pentration.Keep the reciept and just don't open the package.Return them when ya get back home. Better yet get a pair of surgical gloves,stuff them in your pocket and if you need them ,,,well you know which BC pocket to look in.

Cynde:
Also in all seriousness, people have lost thier marine park tag (gotten it taken away) for breaking marine park rules and lost their diving privelages. Some have even had their equipment taken and stored until their departure date for breaking marine park rules. They take protection of the reef seriously.

Are you telling me, that if take out my glove to acsend a line and someone doesn't like that, I could get banned from diving for the rest of the week? Crud'ola, why even take the chance! Gloves are going back as soon as I get off work.

EDIT: laserdoc, by surgical gloves do you mean those latex gloves? I have a box of those purple gloves you get in the first aid section of the store... I use them whenever I stick my hand into my Reef aquarium at home, so as not to "hurt" anything in the tank (corals, fish, etc.), and so that I don't get stung either! Though most people that have SW tanks don't bother with this step, I've found it useful, as I was once moving on of my clams and the emerald crab hiding next too it didn't take too kindly to me moving his friend LOL You haven't lived till you have a small (about the size of a quarter) green crab, clamped onto your finger! I'm 6'1" 240lbs and it was a real "david vs. goliath" ! BTW, the crab won!

Cynde, I may be wrong but I think the park rules do allow gloves ONLY on the decent line of some/all buoys but not once you leave the line. For fire coral.I need to go check the regs again although I never use them.

herman:
Cynde, I may be wrong but I think the park rules do allow gloves ONLY on the decent line of some/all buoys but not once you leave the line. For fire coral.I need to go check the regs again although I never use them.

Herman, per my "contact" on Bonaire...this is what I received in an email today, when I asked for clarification.

"Gloves are not allowed for anything including wreck penetration, holding onto moorings or trash clean up. They are only to be worn if you have a medical release from your doctor and it is validated by the Marine Park."

They just haven't updated their website, which they need to do!

No offense intended, but is there a link too an official press release, or other official document??

So far I've heard:

Word of Mouth - Gloves allowed / Gloves Not allowed / Gloves allowed for certain activities.
Internet - Gloves allowed / Gloves Not allowed / gloves allowed for certain activities

And lot's of hearsay "my contact" etc.

Now I mean no offense, as your probably correct in that gloves have been banned. However, before I go down to the LDS with gloves in packages ready to B*&#^&( them out, I want to have a print out in my hand, from an official source!, saying that gloves are banned.

Thank you in advance!

rottielover:
No offense intended, but is there a link too an official press release, or other official document??

Now I mean no offense, as your probably correct in that gloves have been banned. However, before I go down to the LDS with gloves in packages ready to B*&#^&( them out, I want to have a print out in my hand, from an official source!, saying that gloves are banned.

Thank you in advance!

Rottie Lover,
I have spoken to the Bonaire Marine Park Manager and he is sending me the memo which will be posted, hopefully, later today along with one about SMB's.

undercbon:
Rottie Lover,
I have spoken to the Bonaire Marine Park Manager and he is sending me the memo which will be posted, hopefully, later today along with one about SMB's.

What's the issue with SMBs? How can they/why would they limit safety equipment?

LJ

Susan,

Excellent, thank you for checking into this for us! As I said, there are many "rumors" going around, and it's pretty confusing with having official webpages for one agency say one thing, while the official webpage for another says something else.

Oh, and I did want to mention I purchased the book, Excellent guide!

I eagerly await your next post!

My trip is fast approaching, and if I need to start pulling gear out of my suitcases I'd like to know about it sooner rather than later :wink: Thanks a million!

Back
Top Bottom