dive knifes in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am heading to Bonaire. I have a short (less than 6") dive knife in a sheath, do I need to have a permit to carry it in Bonaire?

Thank you:D

You can bring it in your checked luggage but I agree with Dennis why would you? Shears are much better, you do not have to pull the line to cut it. I've used mine several times on Bonaire to remove fish line from the reef.

It's also good for cutting oranges and bananas to feed the lizards and iguanas!

We have a very small knife each, comes in handy for removing fishing line and the odd piece of rope on a lost anchor rock.

Why would one carry a knife to dive there and most places one dives once or twice a year.??? I have carried a knife for over 20 years and I have yet to take it out of its holder under water for anything

Obvious lack of experience.
One real good reason for carrying a knife, the one time you do need it!!
You don't get entangled often but the first could be the last.
You are in an enviornment where you are an intruder, self defense! Think it's a joke? How many of you have had shark "encounter"? Hopefully none of you. But it does happen.

Interesting thread since we're heading to Bonaire in about 6 weeks.

You cannot prove a negative. In other words past luck does not guarantee future luck.

Is there risk of entanglement?

This is a question.... do they fish in Bonaire? I would think so and lost line can drift and so there is risk and it could be anywhere.

For the sake of simplicity I may cut back to EMT shears in a BC pocket just in case but diving without a cutting tool is throwing away one too many lifelines.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom