dive knifes in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive:
I am heading to Bonaire. I have a short (less than 6") dive knife in a sheath, do I need to have a permit to carry it in Bonaire?

Thank you:D
No you do not need a permit. Most dive ops will tell you to leave it in your gear bag or locker (same with your gloves). My opinion, I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Just beacuse others have not had a need/reason for a knife in the past does not guarantee you will not need it. I have a small knife attached to my BC and I did not have any problems while I was in Bonaire, in fact it actually came in useful several times to tap on my tank when I needed to signal other divers I will be going back in a couple months and plan on bringing it with me. Shears are also a good alternative.

where they belong.......:D Take your shears.

I have litteraly removed bags (mesh) of fishing line, complete with lead sinkers and huge hooks. You CAN get hooked even without a fisherman on the shore or overhead in a boat, although that would be rare. Shears will cut monofiliment and steel lines, (along with pennies and other coins :no ) and require only one hand and no tugging on a hook or line that might be embedded in a coral, or worse yet, your body! (Re: a post of mine when I found a trout line in low vis fresh water, aka. last time I ever carried a knife)

I guess you could stick shears in a shark if needed.....:eyebrow: , I have stuck them in the sand and did the crawl in stiff currents :rofl3:

tony

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but this question stems from a larger question, I believe. I too am going to Bonaire on May 26 for the first time and do not know what to bring or not bring. Other than on Cruises, I have done all of my diving in Florida and have not had to deal with weight limits on airlines and the like. I am also a bit of a gadget freak.

I think the larger question that this comes from is, "what equipement and gadgets do you bring and what do leave behind on a trip to Bonaire." How do you keep you weight down so that you don't pay an arm and a leg in excess baggage fees?

LJ

To answer your question, many do carry dive knives and there is no need for a permit as far as I know. Obviously, it should only be carried for diving purposes. I have never heard of a diver being challenged by law enforcement for having one. I no longer take mine with me. Here's my short list for stuff to take to Bonaire:

shears(leave the knife at home)
3mm shorty
reg
dive computer
bc
hard sole booties
fins/mask/snorkel
dive lights
camera and housing
light hood
mesh bag
toiletries
sandals
Tshirts, shorts and u/wear for a week
collared shirts for dinner out
hat(ball cap)
sunglasses
bug spray
Folgers coffee for Michael at Chat n Browse

Add a few things here and there and I'm set. Always under the weight limit and always have a great time.

LJinFLA:
I do not mean to hijack this thread, but this question stems from a larger question, I believe. I too am going to Bonaire on May 26 for the first time and do not know what to bring or not bring. Other than on Cruises, I have done all of my diving in Florida and have not had to deal with weight limits on airlines and the like. I am also a bit of a gadget freak.

I think the larger question that this comes from is, "what equipement and gadgets do you bring and what do leave behind on a trip to Bonaire." How do you keep you weight down so that you don't pay an arm and a leg in excess baggage fees?

LJ

I have not carried a knife in years but EMT shears are a permanent fixture on my BC. I have almost 200 dives on Bonaire and I have never had a need to use them UW.

LJ, honestly, get rid of most of the toys. A simple slate, a small light, shears and maybe a SMB are all you need. All of which should be closely attached to your body, no danglies hanging all over the place. The dives are very easy, close to shore and most are only a mile or 2 from your resort or a dive shop if you really need anything.

Richesb:
Obvious lack of experience.

OK, So you KNOW my level of experience:huh:

Richesb:
One real good reason for carrying a knife, the one time you do need it!!
You don't get entangled often but the first could be the last.
You are in an enviornment where you are an intruder, self defense! Think it's a joke? How many of you have had shark "encounter"? Hopefully none of you. But it does happen.

Dude, you gotta relax:wink:

Shears yes, knives; as was stated, stay in the kitchen draw when diving in Bonaire. Buy hey, what do I know, I'm inexperienced.:D

herman:
LJ, honestly, get rid of most of the toys. A simple slate, a small light, shears and maybe a SMB are all you need. All of which should be closely attached to your body, no danglies hanging all over the place. The dives are very easy, close to shore and most are only a mile or 2 from your resort or a dive shop if you really need anything.

Herman, Thanks. Yes i do try to keep my rig tight and don't have a lot of dangly things. I do not want to give the impression I am over the top on gadgets. Since you recommend an SMB, I will also need my reel or a spool.

I should also bring my Save-a dive kit, i would guess, but could leave my heavy tools behind, right? Just bring the parts, bulbs, etc. I usually dive with a spare mask, particularly for light wreck penetration. What about that? What about my small nitrox analyzer? What about my Lift Bag? i often dive with pony for deep dives. I am leaning toward not bringing that for sure. I would love to bring my video equipment, but think I will opt for just a camera instead. Any other things?

LJ

LJinFLA:
Herman, Thanks. Yes i do try to keep my rig tight and don't have a lot of dangly things. I do not want to give the impression I am over the top on gadgets. Since you recommend an SMB, I will also need my reel or a spool.

I should also bring my Save-a dive kit, i would guess, but could leave my heavy tools behind, right? Just bring the parts, bulbs, etc. I usually dive with a spare mask, particularly for light wreck penetration. What about that? What about my small nitrox analyzer? What about my Lift Bag? i often dive with pony for deep dives. I am leaning toward not bringing that for sure. I would love to bring my video equipment, but think I will opt for just a camera instead. Any other things?

LJ
Yes save a dive kit. Used a tank o ring from the box last time since we were on the beach with no dive shops around.We stayed at Buddie dive and they like most places have a nitrox analyzer right where you pick your tanks up. No wreck penetration we were told which was ok with us anyway. Doubt if you will need a spool or reel. Did not see anyone with one attached anyway. You also won't need a lift bag. Most of your dives will be around 30 to 60 feet from the shore. Bring extra batteries as buying them on the island can be $$$

laserdoc:
Bring extra batteries as buying them on the island can be $$$

Rechargeable Nickel - Metal Hydride batteries are also a good idea instead of bringing sleeves of batteries for cameras etc. Do remember to take back all used batteries as they end up in the landfill here. Most dive shops have a basket of used batteries. If you have some extra room you can load a ziplock and take them back with you for disposal. It is much appreciated! :14:

No real need for a reel or spool, just cut 15-20 ft of line and wrap it around something. I use a short piece of small PVC pipe with holes drilled into it big enough for the SMB clip to fit into and hold the line in place. Ponys and lift bags are not really useful. Most of the dives are similar to the shallow reefs around Key Largo, with a couple of exceptions I rarely go over 40 ft deep..the Hooker and Alice In Wonderland being the exceptions, both 80-100 ft. Don't over think Bonaire. There are several good dive shops on island that can do most repairs and the diving is easy. Go light, go slow and enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom