dive knifes in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover:
No offense intended, but is there a link too an official press release, or other official document??

So far I've heard:

Word of Mouth - Gloves allowed / Gloves Not allowed / Gloves allowed for certain activities.
Internet - Gloves allowed / Gloves Not allowed / gloves allowed for certain activities

And lot's of hearsay "my contact" etc.

Now I mean no offense, as your probably correct in that gloves have been banned. However, before I go down to the LDS with gloves in packages ready to B*&#^&( them out, I want to have a print out in my hand, from an official source!, saying that gloves are banned.

Thank you in advance!
Forget the documentation and take them back. Any LDS worth it's salt would and should know better.IMO Gloves on Bonaire should be used for gardening.

Jetwrench:
Forget the documentation and take them back. Any LDS worth it's salt would and should know better.IMO Gloves on Bonaire should be used for gardening.

Now wait a minute, the official bonaire marine park website is still saying that gloves are allowed for line acsend/descend | clean up | and wreck diving.

Now I understand that things change all the time, and websites get updated slowly, but it sounds too me like this change in policy is fairly recent.

In fact the only reason I know now, is due to scubaboard posts!

So how can we expect any LDS to keep up with the bleeding edge news for every single dive destination in the world?

Besides, I've reaslized that gloves can be useful for other types of diving in other parts of the world... So I think I'm going to put them in the Gear room.

rottielover:
Now wait a minute, the official bonaire marine park website is still saying that gloves are allowed for line acsend/descend | clean up | and wreck diving.

Now I understand that things change all the time, and websites get updated slowly, but it sounds too me like this change in policy is fairly recent.

In fact the only reason I know now, is due to scubaboard posts!

So how can we expect any LDS to keep up with the bleeding edge news for every single dive destination in the world?

Besides, I've reaslized that gloves can be useful for other types of diving in other parts of the world... So I think I'm going to put them in the Gear room.

Rottie Lover,
I understand your frustration. It is difficult to keep up with regulations that are constantly changing. The BNMP website is hopelessly out of date. It is always an option to write them with your questions and they will respond. The latest rule on gloves came out January 15, 2007. Here is the memo that went out to the diver operators on Bonaire.

From: Bonaire National Marine Park [mailto:marinepark@stinapa.org]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 5:18 PM
To: addresses removed
Subject: Use of gloves rule change

Dear All:

Please note that the BNMP rule that regulate the use of gloves while diving or snorkeling in the Bonaire National Marine Park has change. Effective immediately the use of gloves is only possible for medical reasons and by writed permit of the BNMP. The use of gloves for underwater clean up, wreck diving or ascent/descent following mooring lines is not longer allowed.
Please notify your dive staff accordingly. Thank you and do not hesitate in contact me if you have some further questions.

Ramon de Leon.
Manager - Bonaire National Marine Park.

P.O. Box 368
Bonaire - Netherlands Antilles.
Phone: (599) 717 8444.
Fax: (599) 717 7318.

E-mail: marinepark@stinapa.org

Susan,

Thank you very much for posting that.

Thanks for posting Susan. Though I am a bit baffled on how they can regulate the use of safety equipment like gloves, i guess it is what it is.

You mentioned earlier something about SMBs being limited in some way. Any info about that? That one would strike me as really unbelievable. SMBs are certainly a more prudent piece of safety equipment than gloves, and I don't see how they can damage the reef.

LJ

LJinFLA:
Thanks for posting Susan. Though I am a bit baffled on how they can regulate the use of safety equipment like gloves, i guess it is what it is.

You mentioned earlier something about SMBs being limited in some way. Any info about that? That one would strike me as really unbelievable. SMBs are certainly a more prudent piece of safety equipment than gloves, and I don't see how they can damage the reef.

LJ

LJInFla,

The Park believes that without gloves people are much less inclined to touch the reef or marine life. It seems to work.

The problems isn't with SMB's it is in how they are being used. The latest is to tie off a line or rest a weight on the reef so the SMB (be it a half inflated sausage, soda bottle or a myriad of other floating items) can be seen for return to the exit. Except for a few sites up north there should be no problem for any diver to find their return point. There are many natural markers to choose from. If all else fails surfacing in the shallows is always an option.:14:

undercbon:
LJInFla,

The Park believes that without gloves people are much less inclined to touch the reef or marine life. It seems to work.

The problems isn't with SMB's it is in how they are being used. The latest is to tie off a line or rest a weight on the reef so the SMB (be it a half inflated sausage, soda bottle or a myriad of other floating items) can be seen for return to the exit. Except for a few sites up north there should be no problem for any diver to find their return point. There are many natural markers to choose from. If all else fails surfacing in the shallows is always an option.:14:

Those uses hadn't even occurred to me. i was just thinking for safety and emergency situations. i do't want o go out without one.

So are they banned? I have not seen anything that confirms that they are.

LJ

LJ,

I've been over to bonairetalk.com, there is a giant thread going on over there about the SMB's. From what I have gathered of the Mod's posts there, Saftey Sausages are NOT banned.

Apparently, there have been a few, (well hell, let's put it out there) IDIOTS down there lately, who have tied off SMB's to coral heads etc.

The jist of it was that as long as you don't tie your SMB off too a coral, or weight it and let the weight's on/in a coral, then your fine.

Another poster brought up strobe lights on night dives being left on a sandy bottom to mark an exit. The mod posted back that it was fine.

Apparently some people just don't understand (what I think is common sense) DO NOT TOUCH THE REEF! Period, end of story. If you don't touch with you, or any part of your, or any of your gear then your fine, and not breaking any laws.

The thread over on BT then goes on with first hand accounts of diver's behaving badly... Among the more interesting posts (summary):

Tacktile Diver - someone with gloves grabbing from coral to coral, pulling herself along the reef

Ski Diver - Apparently there were a couple of divers using metal Ski Poles to enter the water... :rolleyes:

Seahorse Photo Diver - Who harrased a seahorse to the point that another poster decided to pull his dive knife on this guy and threaten to cut this guy's hose. (If you know the thread, you'll see where I about had an anurism and tried to point out that this was Assault with a Deadly Weapon / Aggravated Assault)... ANYWAY - I personally feel in this case BOTH parties had wrong doings, mr. I want my photo op, probably should have had his gear "stored" for him (as I've heard this has happened a few times to various people). Mr. James Bond-Thunderball, should have stopped short of pulling his knife.

Time to head to work!

LJinFLA:
Those uses hadn't even occurred to me. i was just thinking for safety and emergency situations. i do't want o go out without one.

So are they banned? I have not seen anything that confirms that they are.

LJ

LJinFla,
No, they are not banned. Responsible use as they were intended is fine. We just have folks being creative in ways no one else had thought of.....:14:

undercbon:
LJinFla,
No, they are not banned. Responsible use as they were intended is fine. We just have folks being creative in ways no one else had thought of.....:14:

Thanks Susan.

By the way, I got your book. Itis great. Great descriptions and information.

I hope you are not offended because it is a great book, but if I could make one suggestion it would be helpful to include more maps. Something that shows the island and the locations would be helpful. Soemthing like you show for the south end of the island would be great to see for the rest of the island. Maybe show the locations of the resorts so one could orient themselves and plan routes. The book is great but this would make it even better.

Thanks for all the help.

LJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom