Dive Knife That Could Also be Used for Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd advocate for two knives.
  • What's good for diving may not be good for camping, and vice-versa.
  • When you go diving, you may find your knife is off somewhere else. Frequently removing/installing a sheath will also get annoying.
  • You may end up spending significantly more to get a knife good for both, than individually get good knives for either.
I don't know what kind of camping, or camping-purposes you're looking at. For example, a lightweight pocket folder might be great for hikes, having a knife on you, 24/7 and most "on the fly" purposes. Or a large fixed-blade knife might be good for some more heavy-duty work. You may even prefer a saw, hatchet, or axe for some uses. So even with camping, you might prefer multiple tools.

For diving, I'm very particular about having completely distinct diving equipment and tools. I'd hate to not have a vital wrench or other tool in my save-a-dive kit, because I "borrowed" it for some other purpose. Even if that means, my dive-only tool is less nice or less expensive than the one in my toolbox.

Camping knives are a very good tool. The knife should be sharp and always be with you.
In addition to the knife, on a hike I take special dishes that can be put on a fire to warm up or cook food. One of these things was found in my attic. It is called sandwich maker and it is very convenient, especially to cook on it on an open fire. Unfortunately, in the previous campaign, it did not survive and broke down, because it was old. Then a friend of mine advised me to buy the same on https://www.amazon.com/pie-iron-for-campfire-cooking/dp/B088H42W2L but only a new one, so that I can make delicious sandwiches again while camping. I really want to buy it, but I can't decide, because I already have so many things that I take with me on a hike. Sometimes it's hard for me to carry it all. Is it worth buying it?

Try either of these! Both Scubapro circa 1977.

Each over 12” long and weigh 3/4 lb!

These are knives!

Please note: @Sam Miller III.

Black one made in Japan; the other in Italy. No rust after 50 yrs.

View attachment 487360 View attachment 487361
Just a note, I learned on Facebook from Alec Pierce and Dr. Sam’s son that Dr. Sam Miller III passed away yesterday. I have corresponded with him in the past; what a huge loss to the diving community.

SeaRat

Spyderco has a fixed blade h1 knife that can double for both a dove knife and a camp knife. It’s on the larger side but it’s a good knife, frequent sharpening not withstanding.

Or you can go folding. Anything from a ladybug h1 that’s only 1.9” to the 3.78” pacific salt.

To me a diving knife is a specialty knife, and needs to be of stainless steel, great quality and sharp. It also needs a serrated edge, and now with all the fishing it needs a line cutter. My Wenoka dive knife fits this billing. A diving knife is not for cutting coral or fighting a shark.

A camping knife is a different type of knife. It needs to cut lines and tape, sometimes cloth, and it needs to be small enough to gut a trout, with an edge that works for skinning a deer. A camp knife is not for fighting a bear.

I have two Randall knives; one is an Attack/Survival knife that I used as a Pararescueman in Vietnam. It has both a cutting edge, a sharp point for close combat (but because of the serrations may stay in an enemy combatant, and so is sorta a lost resort for that). It also has a hollow handle for stuffing survival items, like an un-lubricated condom (for gathering water), fish hooks, sinkers, some matches and materials to light in the handle, and fishing line plus parachute cord wrapped around the hollow handle.

The other Randall is a sports variety I gave to my Dad, Donald E. Ratliff, Sr. which has skinned many a deer and elk. I got it back with his passing. (I also gave my brothers Randall knives as a present in the 60s.)

So to me you really need to understand which knife works for which application. Some folding knives work well as camping knives. I also have a Gerber 3 inch folding knife which is great as a camp knife, and can hold an edge as well as skin a deer or gut/fillet a fish. I also have a Leatherman tool, which includes a short blade, screwdrivers, a file, a punch, and a serrated edge that‘s great for cutting cardboard. So each knife has a purpose.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom