Dive Knife That Could Also be Used for Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on dive knives that could also be used for camping. The rig will be a BP/W if that matters. I like some of the water-worthy Spydercos, but most are folding knives. Curious, does anyone use a folding knife with BP/W?

Thanks.

David

Yes.

You can use a folding knife in a raine sheath. You can mount this sheath in line with the shoulder strap or vertically on the waist belt.

I use a promate titanium folder. Unbeatable deal. Never had any rust problems in continuous salt water diving. On the other hand, my wife’s h2 spontaneously rusts.

I also carry one on a daily basis.

I keep a folding serrated Spyderco in the flap of my Halcyon bellows pocket, and a Trilobite on the waist belt.

It can be hard to open folding knives in thick gloves. I’d recommend a stainless steel knife, it will rust if you don’t look after it but it’s much easier to sharpen and generally are far betting at cutting. Serrated blade. Blunt tips are good but not necessary. Just get a standard steak knife and cut it down with an angle grinder, buy a sheath for 5€ and it mounts onto harness perfectly on the waist. It can be used to cut steak and rope etc.

Try either of these! Both Scubapro circa 1977.

Each over 12” long and weigh 3/4 lb!

These are knives!

Please note: @Sam Miller III.

Black one made in Japan; the other in Italy. No rust after 50 yrs.

78C74BED-8BF2-416C-AA91-BF3EF2E0391A.jpeg
322863C6-E591-4AD0-AC60-E5A5AD1474C0.jpeg

I was going to suggest this knife, not sure what is the wait list these days, when I bought one 6-7 years ago I had to wait a couple of years, but it was worth it.

Why is it worth it? That’s a lot of money. Curious.

Back
Top Bottom