Dive Insurance. Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little off-topic question...Should people diving in Canada get DAN insurance, since we should be covered by Canadian health insurance? Or should we just wait until we're planning to go on a trip?
Your provincial health plan will not cover nearly half as much as you would think. Call them up to confirm.
And does DAN dive insurance for Canadians cover everything on this page the same as those from the US https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/dive/ ? I read somewhere (maybe an older post) that DAN for Canadians didn't cover anything other than diving, but that page says that it covers dive equipment, emergency accommodations, and emergency flights.
It covers whatever it says it covers in the plan you choose. Make sure you understand the difference between DAN Dive Accident Insurance and DAN Trip Insurance.

No one ever really expects to NEED such insurance.

BUT it is such a minor price when compared to the potentially devastating costs if I am ever injured while diving, or traveling to dive, that I can not see not purchasing the insurance.

I am a DAN member and have been since 1998. The reasons are set forth above. It's great insurance and a lot more than insurance. Its part of my "gear package" and dive planning. End of story.
DivemasterDennis

Just to show some things that the DAN insurance handles that might not be handled by your primary insurance:
Copied from one of my earlier posts re DAN insurance

In 2004, I had an incident of DCS2 while in Grand Cayman. I had to pay, by credit card, both the hospital fees and the separate chamber fee. I'm not sure if that policy applies in all hospitals/chambers or just the one I happen to be at.

When I arrived home I filed papers with my primary health insurance carrier.
They paid the majority of the medical bills, including $15,000 worth of "chamber rides". (I have been told, by other divers, that had my primary insurance not covered that cost, that the DAN insurance would have covered it.)

After receiving that payment, I submitted uncovered bills, etc., to the DAN insurance people (The actual policy was from an insurance company who has an agreement with DAN). The paperwork seemed less noxious than typical insurance paperwork, and the service was very good.

That policy reimbursed me for:

1)Some medical costs not covered by my primary insurance carrier.

2) The cost of two plane tickets home, when we could not reschedule on our original airline.

3) The cost of shipping the home all our luggage, including dive gear, as I had written orders from the doctor to not carry, drag, or lift anything for a two week period.

4) Most of the cost of three additional at the hotel, also the result of written orders from the doctor. The three days were required for more medical treatment, and to be medically cleared to fly.

The reimbursement for these items totaled approximately $2700, $2400 of which was for items 2, 3, 4, in the preceding list, costs which, obviously, were not covered by my regular health insurance.

As a result of this experience, I would never be without the DAN insurance.
I give that product my highest endorsement, while hoping you never have to use it.
Good luck,
Mike

Uh, It does not suck, don't know where your coming from... Just for your the record, I am 16 years old, and the farthest I dive away is about 2-3 hours by car. I dont need extra accomodation included in the plan, and when I have the opportunity to go on a dive vacation, rest assured I will upgrade my insurance plan to the Master Plan.
Okaaaay, I guess I should have said the "Standard plan sucks generally." For you, if you feel that the $45,000 limit and Decompression Illness only (NOT Other Dive Injury Medical Expense) is all you need, fine & dandy. I'd suggest paying the extra $10/year but as long as you understand all of the differences, your call. See https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp
Your provincial health plan will not cover nearly half as much as you would think. Call them up to confirm.

It covers whatever it says it covers in the plan you choose. Make sure you understand the difference between DAN Dive Accident Insurance and DAN Trip Insurance.
Very good. :thumb: Altho I'd still bump it $10/year for the same reasons.

Even the family plan costs less than $90! GET THE DAN INSURANCE!

IF you have a good insurance that cover you while diving, while abroad, for medical transport and treatment and repatriation, you might not need dive insurance, but you should make VERY sure that you're covered by the insurances you have already.
Theres plenty of people who get stuck with huge medical bills and crap treatment because they assume their insurance cover more than it does, dont become one of them.

p.s.: I do NOT have a specific dive/DAN insurance, but I have a travel insurance with unlimited medical and repatriation coverage which also is specified to cover diving in the insurance agreement.

In 2004, I had an incident of DCS2 while in Grand Cayman. I had to pay, by credit card, both the hospital fees and the separate chamber fee. I'm not sure if that policy applies in all hospitals/chambers or just the one I happen to be at.

I've seen a few comments here on SB that this may actually be one of the bigger implicit benefits of DAN insurance. Apparently in many non-industrialized countries (i.e. many popular warm water dive destinations) chambers won't treat you without payment up front, unless they already have an agreement with the insurance company, which is almost never the case with mainstream insurance. You're left having to pay a five figure bill with one or more credit cards, or trying to get your insurance company to do an emergency wire transfer.

I have no personal experience with this, but would be curious to hear how often people have experiences like miked.

Back
Top Bottom