Dive gear you own that you consider perfect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm new to diving, but I've found in every hobby (including diving so far) there is no such thing as "perfect" for me. I'm constantly modifying my gear for one reason or another. Everything from masks and fins to BCs to wetsuits... I'm always tinkering with my gear.

There's a lot that is "good enough" but not stuff I would go and and deliberately search for again if mine somehow disappeared.

I've bought a ton of stuff since Sept '10 and of all my items, I would only replace the following with the exact same item if it got lost/broken/stolen without researching possible alternatives first:

Halcyon Harness - because I love the hardware it comes with
Halcyon weighted STA - great implementation for weight and excellent quality
Halcyon shoulder pads - I really need these when I have just a t-shirt or no shirt on. They are the best shoulder pads I've tried (also tried hollis and oxycheq)
Hollis SS Backplate - Very adjustable since it has 3 holes on top and a slit on the bottom, beautiful finish
Hollis Backpad - high quality "pad" (just thick semi-soft cordura + pocket) that keeps the cold steel off my bare skin in the summer, holds stuff like a lift bag or smb, and will prevent the wing nuts from tearing my drysuit
Oxycheq 30# Mach V Singles Wing - I love the design, very streamlined compared to other brand's wings, three holes on top and bottom for mounting adjustments and very good quality
Hollis C45 Doubles wing - high quality, even has the cordura brand tag on it showing they don't skimp on quality due to 'royalties', also has three holes on top and bottom for adjustments
Hollis F-1 Fins - For me they are the perfect weight, feel/comfort, and look.
Atomic Frameless Mask - comfort, fit, low profile, no color tint from the glass
Divesoft Trimix analyzer - compact, works great, OLED screen, cool programs like gas mix planner, teledyne R-17D O2 sensor is cheap, never needs a He sensor
Pinnacle Elastiprene Merino lined 5mm wetsuit - love the quality, fit and comfort. Keeps me nice and warm. They didn't spare any expense in the stitching patterns or kevlar padding.

The items I would want to replace with exactly the same thing are all out of production.

For example, my Whites Nexus, nine years old, hundreds of dives and going strong, never leaked, fit so well that the skipper on my first boat dive asked me whether it was custom-made (no).

And for cold water and current, my Cressi Sub Rondine Gamma fins (retrofitted with spring straps). This was Cressi's answer to Jetfins (all the big mfr's had one), but longer and narrower. Don't what I'd do if they wandered off except start soliciting on e-bay, craig's, etc.

So maybe I'm overly sentimental, or maybe I'm an old goat (see avatar).

-Bryan

Last edited:
Frameless mask, not sure of the brand, but it doesn't leak A DROP of water.
TUSA Imprex Tri-Ex Fins.
Akona 7mm booties.

USD Mistral regulator. Nearly 50 years old, so simple I can rebuild it myself and it won't freeze up in cold water.

And jet fins.

My Scubapro Jet Fins with spring straps, I've tried a dozen different types of fins but still come back to them for scuba diving. They're like the pick up truck of scuba fins.

Best item I purchased too - especially if you have some arthritis a knee.

My body. Does exactly what I want it to do.

Oh, go on then, Oxycheq 18 lb wing with lightweight (might be kevlar) plate. Means I can carry more camera goodies when I travel.

I want my dry suit to have pockets but still be light and dry fast and fit perfectly

Oh damn you ruined my only piece of perfect gear now, I just remembered one of the pockets is not as good as the other one :( Other than that it is perfect.

Ok so correction: I own zero dive gear that I consider perfect, but am pretty happy with most of it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom