• I use them occasionally

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I use them and park them in the water

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I use them for safety

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck/Tec

Contributor
Reaction score
In N.Y. State it's law, you must use a dive float. During the winter when the marine traffic is gone, I don't always. Not living in other states, are there any other states with similar laws? Do other divers bother with floats. If you use them do you like them and why. What tricks, if any, do you use to make their use easier and or satisfy the law? Wreck/Tec wants to know!

Florida requires a float/flag also. BIG ticket for not doing so.

MA requires one as well. 60 dollar fine if you are caught without one. I sometimes don't use on in the winter.

Eric

If you don't use one, you can get fined. And even though the Jet Ski drivers think they are out there for a slalom course, the reason I use them is safety. Diving is expensive enough as it is without having to pay a fine for being stupid.

I live in Upstate N.Y., Here they will fine you $50.00 and a $25.00 SURGHARGE. You may have heard we're the Tax state. I was also curious what others may have done to their floats To make them multi purpose. Let me explain, I have a float with a 7.60x16 innertube for it's core. I wrapped a red/white/and black float cover made of ballistic nylon around it. The kind that zipped across the middle on top , basic dive cover. I mounted a plastic milk crate in the center of the tube and inflated it so the tube engulfs the crate tightly. The cover is streched tightly around the tube and crate body. The crate handles are exposed so I can carry it easily. I tied the latch of the cover where the float line hooks, to the bottom of the crate and replaced it with a larger brass ring so it wouldn't pull off as easily. I took a 16" piece of 1/2 " copper tubing with a soldered cap on one end and tied it in one corner of the crate to insert the shaft of the dive flag in. I drilled a hole in the shaft where the flag bottom is and mounted a ring through the flag and shaft where I hook a bungee to through the ring and secure it to the crate. Then I took a Trident strobe and secured that to the top of the shaft where the flag ends. It protrudes about 3" above the flag and gives me 360 deg. visual coverage on cloudy days or night dives. I mounted two lines with hooks that hang down 3 ' ea on opposing sides of the float body for hanging gear on. I use a yellow nylon 1/4" line, 400' long wrapped around an orange electrical cord hanger with a large caribeaner, (The type you have to pull the body cover down to open and or close it) hooked through it's body so I can snap it to my harness. I'm always looking for ideas, talk to me.........

woo... Got a pic? I just have a generic flag and float and use a spool.

Eric

Except for the occasional Quarry dive, we put out the flag. Depending on the site we may carry, or let it sit in one spot. I've been told it's proper to carry with you and I've been told, you're not supposed to. As far as I know there's no provicial law in Ontario (correct me if there si), park rules in Tobermory require a dive flag.

Eric
I'm not real sharp with the computer, ( sending pictures and all) we can do one of two things..........Send me a PM with your address if my attempt to get the pictures sent fails. I have to get my daughter to help tonight, OK.

Back
Top Bottom