• I use them occasionally

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I use them and park them in the water

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I use them for safety

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Oklahoma it's LAW, not sure why, maybe so the PWC can have a slalom course or something like that.

All PWC owners and riders must be exterminated with extreme predjudice!

A fake "flag" with a proximity detector and some explosives.

My father has a house in Livingston... I've learned to despise most PWC operators.

jeff

Iguana Don once bubbled...
In Oklahoma it's LAW, not sure why, maybe so the PWC can have a slalom course or something like that.

All PWC owners and riders must be exterminated with extreme predjudice!

Let me know once you get those proximity explosives.

Put me down for a case!

(Reckless PWC User)--> :flamy: :mgun:

How about some of our brothers across the oceans! What sort of protocall do you have if any relating to dive floats.
Wreck/Tec

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
It's the law in Florida.

Here's a link to info on the law...

http://www.floridaconservation.org/law/diver-down-flag.htm .

After checking out the link above it now appears that there is finally now a mechanism to deal with boaters using the flag as a race turn pylon. It used to be the fine imposed for hitting a diver was the cost of having the prop straightened!

Of course the REAL question comes down to how many boaters are fined for running over divers. I expect the numbers prosecuted each year can easily be counted on the fingers of one hand.

BTW I have been run over more than once while diving with flags. one of the offenders was a 85' USCG vessel who put 3' of green water over the bow of the anchored boat, while going between the anchored boat (with flag on both the boat and the trailing line) and the flag on the anchor pendant. No action was taken against the USCG Lt' Commander in charge of the 85'er.

Even in a case where the offending boat went between two dive boats flying multiple flags anchored less than 100' feet apart, and all registration numbers were recorded by MULTIPLE witnesses on both boats no action was taken. That prop missed my wife's head by less than 6" horizontally as it dug furrows in the bottom!

The primary use for the flag in Fla is as a fine revenue generator for the state to use AGAINST divers, and to mark divers for inspection during bug season. It's practical use as a safety device is questionable at best, and may have the effect of INCREASING the diver's danger in many cases!

FT

FredT once bubbled...
The primary use for the flag in Fla is as a fine revenue generator for the state to use AGAINST divers...
Now, if we could only get the kind of support they give manatees, we'd be alright.

For those of you that live in FL, you know what I mean. Pretty sad when the sea cow gets more protection than divers...ugh! :shaking:

I'd like to be able to say N.Y. takes care of it's divers, but , I can't. We here are merely a money generating cash crop. They seek you out if your close to swimming areas, private property, or municipal interests so you may be fined and continue a cash flow that has no end in sight. In those events where you may have injured or killed and were able to harvest a number off the offending boater, save the dime! They contribute more to the coffers of the state through registrations, and launch fees. How pathetic..........

New Jersey Lawmakers feel that a float with a 14" X 16" rigid Diver down flag will keep you safe. It is against the law to surface more than 25 feet from the bouyed flag. (Except in an Emergency)It is also punishable to operate a vessel closer than 50 feet from the bouyed flag. (unless your friend has a faster ski-doo and you can pass him by taking a short cut over a diver).
I have taken boating classes put out by the USCG flotilla (not required) and taken the state required Personal Water Craft training to get a PWC Drivers License and nobody has ever brought up the description of a diver down flag in lecture or print.
BTW: new Bug Min is 3 5/16" and July of 2003 is 3 11/32.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Pretty sad when the sea cow gets more protection than divers...ugh! :shaking:

They deserve more protection than most divers.

Wreck/Tec once bubbled...
Then I took a Trident strobe and secured that to the top of the shaft where the flag ends. It protrudes about 3" above the flag and gives me 360 deg. visual coverage on cloudy days or night dives.
be careful with the strobe use. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods but on the Great Lakes a strobe is considered a distress signal. The CG gets a little miffed if they scramble a helo and drop a rescue swimmer for non-distressed divers. Great idea if you only use it in the event of an emergency but don't recommend using it otherwise.

We use those high intensity cylume sticks to mark our flag at night

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom