• I use them occasionally

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I use them and park them in the water

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I use them for safety

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...
First, enforce the existing laws.
As far as I know, they’re being enforced. I see people getting popped all the time. Maybe there are just too many laws out there for the poor cops to keep track of their heads are spinning! Ok....really....if we’re talking about enforcing the laws here, what about the laws for emission control (sorry for the deviation)? Don’t you hate getting stuck behind someone with a ‘Blue Haze’? There’s an environmental concern that’s violated all to often (among other non-water oriented environmental concerns). That’s not to say that the laws shouldn’t be enforced. It just seems that there are other violaters out there that we’re turning our head to. What about the nuclear power plants that create warm water which draws the manatees, and in turn mucks up their migration pattern? Maybe we’re barking up the wrong tree here? Bigger problems before smaller ones? Seems the boaters are fighting a loosing battle with environmentalists on their turf here. Money talks! Okay...I’m rambling on this one...but...
The currently required course is nearly useless.
Sorry, can’t say much about the course. I missed the requirement by one day. But I do agree that more education couldn’t hurt. After all, education is important. Along those lines, I have to share a little story about the ‘idiot’ boater...
On a recent trip to Homosassa for scalloping, we were transiting through the mouth of the river on the pontoon boat headed into the gulf, when I noticed a few ‘geniuses’ flying by, bow high out of the water. I’m wondering, “aren’t their rocks submerged just a few feet below the surface?” We ended up hitting one, and we barely made it over idle. Tore up a perfectly good prop! It would have been ‘entertaining’ to see one of those guys hit a huge rock...justice :D

Jet skis? Ban them in navigable waters, allow in small lakes only.
Good luck! Those things are just too much darn fun. Well, I’ve only used one in a semi-large lake with no manatees, but I got that thing cookin’. Hmm....maybe not banning, but the previous idea of proximity explosives on the dive flags would do nice for open water idiots :wink: Heh...ok...just trollin’.

kpauley once bubbled...
What other reasons do power boaters have?
I’m not sure what your going for here, but are you saying that all boaters are not environmentalists :question:. Maybe I should start a poll to see how many boaters there are on this board?

Okay, let me give you a “reason” for your new thread.....

I consider myself a boater (even though I don’t own one yet – I’m still trying to pay my way through college). As I hope to own one in the future, I would like to ensure a future for boating in the state of Florida. Here goes...

I use a boat because I like the water. It’s relaxing! I became a boater before I became a diver, and did both for similar reasons. Now, I’m not perfect, but...I don’t throw my trash overboard, I don’t drive like an anus, and I don’t hold bikini parties...although, if you know someone who is holding one of those parties let me know :hula:. Am I doing anything wrong here? So please don’t lump me in to some category.

And finally, an end to this post!...yep, there is an end here

I think Groundhog posed a good question...
Groundhog246 once bubbled...
As long as Manatee's and boats share the same waters, there will be collisions, the question is how many is acceptable.
Maybe that should be the topic for debate here instead of just pointing fingers. I’m sure eventually a better solution will be reached. There is always a better solution....

How may of you think that manatees are not worthy of endangered species classification?

or even better, how many manatees have you seen without any prop marks?

There are better solutions out there than bare props. there is a current lawsuit with one of the major outboard manufacturers concerning their patent of a prop-guard and both not using it and not allowing others to manufacture it.

As divers I would have thought that this board would act more enlightened when it comes to the dangers of powerboats. There are many deaths each year due to people getting run over adn even though my instructor and yours taught us to spin around looking for boats as we ascend, if a boat is doing even ten knots we're sitting ducks. I've often felt liek a manatee when diving in shallow water.

Maybe we should be pushing for prop guards or ducted jets or something!

I'm well aware that two stroke motors are not happy idleing for hours down a river in a manatee zone. Maybe you should get a four stroke? You might enjoy the lack of oily smog while you're idling.
Or better yet get a friggin kayack

Driving a jet ski within a mile of other people should be illegal. Those things have got tho be the best example of enjoyment at the cost of others I have ever experienced. It may be fun but it's selfish as Hades!
HTH,
Rice

ACTUALLY ALL MY ENGINES HAVE BEEN 4 STOKE IOs. Engines are happy, people are not. Besides you have entire towns dumping sewage into a waterway and you're worried about a bit of burned oil.
I have a good friend thats been a FL fish & game supervisor for 30 yrs., grew up in Florida on the water. He says there's never been as many manatee sightings as there have been in last 3 yrs. Manatee rules already are ruining the sport of water ski/wakeboard, and they are working on fishing next. Sooner or later it will dive time. Did you know its illegal to approach a manatee? How many divers have done that?
but back to diver safety...I wonder how many divers know what & where a channel is in a waterway? Can you read the navigation aids, other than the multitude of conflicting manatee warnings> ?
Do you know which is preferred channel? Have you looked at a nautical map before you dive there? You can't play golf on a highway, same goes for the water.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20020218/manatee.html

Rice once bubbled...
Maybe we should be pushing for prop guards or ducted jets or something!
Don't think a prop guard would help much. The blunt trauma would probably do you in.

This is really irrelevant, anyway. If you say close to your dive flag (which is also a FL law) and the boaters stay away from your dive flag (which was a law mentioned previously) then there should be no problem with boats and divers. Although, this is not a perfect world :rolleyes:.

This brings up another question. How many of you have been driving down the highway and seen someone "blow your doors off"? Now, as you see that lunatic cruising by, do you say "Dang, these cops should enforce the laws!"? Hmm...if you are one of these people, you need a hobby :D. I'm sure if this idiot blew by a cop, the cop would have no problem giving the idiot the runaround. Cops can't be everywhere at all times. Hopefully we can realize that.

Just MHO :wink: ...with a little bit of rambling

I'm in Ontario, we don't have a Law requiring the use of a float and flag yet.
I use a float selectively, which means sometimes. When I dive the St Lawrence River, and cross over to the USA (NY) side it is required by Law.
When I'm diving in a non-boat traffic area I don't use one. When I'm in a boat traffic area, fishing and cruisers I tow a float. If my diving activity is localised and I can stay within 50 ft of the float, I tie it off. Less hassle, and risk of entanglement.
Now If I'm diving in a JET SKI frequented area, I tend not to use a float. I prefer them not to know I'm there. I treat it like and overhead environment, horizontal exit. I'm not bashing all jet skiers, but I've had my float used as a slolom course too many times.

MikeD
:blfish:

Back
Top Bottom