Dive Float dragging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I will be diving Lake Tahoe, Nevada side AND California side in a few weeks. I understand that it's Nevada law to drag a dive float and stay within 100 feet of it when diving because of all the boat traffic.

My question is, is there an optimal technique for dragging a dive float with you while you are UNDERWATER? What type of rope is optimal for this? I will be using one of those big trident inner tube floats with a long dive flag on top.

A large reel that allows you to loop it over your arm while your swimming along at depth. Poly line woks great, as it's buoyant, and waterproof.
OSBLL.jpg

Don't clip your reel to your BC, as you may find yourself as a drag sled for a passing boat. :(

Also, if you need just the reel and line, I got mine at WalMart for $6, 100' of line. :)

Last edited:
Pulling a float is a pain anyway you look at it. I used a setup similar shown above with a about a 4" diameter foam float on fiberglass shaft holding a flag on one end and a small lead weight on the other. It's light weight and pulls easy, however, due to the limited bouyancy it can be pulled underwater and if the foam compresses it will sink. It's no big deal you then have to swim with the flag utill you reach shallower water and then send it to the surface.

Conditions are primo here at the Lake, I just finish a dive about an hour ago on the mighty Rubicon Wall, lots of fish, great dive.

My question is, is there an optimal technique for dragging a dive float with you while you are UNDERWATER? What type of rope is optimal for this?

Hand it to your dive buddy.

2mm to 3mm Perlon line, buy it at REI Utility Cord at REI.com

One diver should handle the flag and another do the primary navigation. This is especially true in currents and wind. It is possible that you swim on a perfect heading but the flag pulls you sideways forming a sweeping path. This is hard to manage on a barren silted lake bottom where you don't have many features to leapfrog you visual path dead ahead.

I have a home made winder like the one pictured, home made of Lexan and weighted slightly negative when full. It works nice as I can drop it for a moment to perform a task. I also have a small mesh drawstring bag on it that will accept a fair sized stone to act as a longer term anchor. I have braided polypropylene rope that stays buoyant and overhead for the most part. I also added a ball bungee that pulls into a slot on the opposite side. This lets me prevent despooling when it's not held or thrown. It makes float diving tolerable but lacks cup holders and a spare air.

Plan to have 50% more rope than your max depth to allow the line to be pulled with some scope. Some marks for things like 15 feet and some length increments work out nice. Wraps of good electrical tape work well. Heat shrink tubing is even better.

Pete

Also make sure that you are diving an area where they know what a dive float and flag are. On one lake here there are a few idiots who think it's for them to see how close they can get to it and even grab it as they go by on their jetskis!

Also make sure that you are diving an area where they know what a dive float and flag are. On one lake here there are a few idiots who think it's for them to see how close they can get to it and even grab it as they go by on their jetskis!

I wish that were possible but the message is a good one. Don't take that flag for granted. If we need to go to the surface in open water we follow the line up and surface right at the flag. Be careful not to get wound up in your line though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom