Dive Float dragging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is towing a dive flag required at the Rubicon Wall/D.L. Bliss park, since this is on the California side of the lake?

apparently not, but I"m not taking any chances with so many boaters around!

what about dragging an smb around? not one of the "i need help!" ones, but just an orange smb, seems like it would be easy to drag, and not need weight and all that other complicated stuff...would that work or am i greatly missing something? thanks

what about dragging an smb around? not one of the "i need help!" ones, but just an orange smb, seems like it would be easy to drag, and not need weight and all that other complicated stuff...would that work or am i greatly missing something? thanks

Except a dive flag/float is required on the Nevada side. We used a float and it wasn't too bad. We just tied it off in the general area that we were ascending and descending.

Probably would not meet the criteria (legal) as a dive flag. Also might not be recognized for what it is by boaters... which of course is giving boaters undue credit for recognizing a regular dive flag :D

To the OP: I dive with an innertube-type dive flag like you use, and the size and surface area of the innertube makes it a PITA to pull in any kind of wind or surface chop. Be prepared for that. On the other hand, it's size and the zippered cover allows it to be used as a place to store small stuff, and will easily keep a couple divers afloat. What we do here (but we have a very different environment from where you'll be diving) is just find a rock or large chunk of dead coral to tie it off when we reach a good spot, stay "relatively near it", then return to it when ready to surface (as if it were a tiny dive boat :D ).

Have fun!

Assuming it's a sealed sausage and not an essentially open bottom bag it would tend to blow around and be a PITA An open bottom bag would go limp since they count on being held down somewhat to keep the closure activated..

The common cylinder float or "foam lobster buoy" floats have a very small foot print in the water and pull easy. The lower mast and weight help keep it plumb.

The bigger tubes are nice if you need a base to do things like weight checks from.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom