Dive Flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the help- guess this didn't turn out to be DIY...

My dive shop had 2 flags (as in 2 in stock, not just two varieties- so I'm glad I went yesterday- if anyone else going on the trip was looking, it might not have been there much longer): 1 that was the blow up kind of float and the other that was the tall one. We got the inflatable one, and practiced towing it on a dive yesterday. Towing it definitely adds difficulty to the dive, but we did alright.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Finally... These are the pictures...

IMG_20130809_185837_282.jpgIMG_20130809_185457_672.jpgIMG_20130809_185543_628.jpgIMG_20130809_185630_513.jpg

You can assemble this in any of 3 ways and it breaks down for transport.

Previous post:

Most of the cheap ones are just that... make your own. 40 bucks, including pipe, fittings, adhesive, foam, flags and hardware. The base is slip fit and filled with expanding foam. The crossbar is cemented to keep it from twisting and is 3" close to one end to keep the base trailing properly. The large flag frame is slip fit and the bungees hold it together, it slips into the base "T". the long pipe is cemented together and screws into the crossbar. The large pipe with the eye bolt screws into the crossbar and can be filled with gravel wherever and dumped when leaving. You can use schedule 20 pipe and drain fittings which are thinner and the pipe will float a little higher and weigh a little less. I made a net that fits over the base so I can take a Styrofoam cooler and put my fish without having to go back to the boat.

I have to float and pole, but KS requires a larger flag than standard. A year ago a went to a lake where enough folks dive that I figured the rangers would know the rules so I made a DOT wide load 24" mesh flag from the local truck stop into a dive flag with a duct taped area and a can of white spray paint. My small float would hold it up and it met the 21" square requirement. (Nothing in the reg said it couldn't be mesh!) It showed up plenty well and worked very well even in the Western KS wind. We wound up diving a rock crag behind a no boats bouy anyhow, go figure.

Zip ties! The answer to everything! I just put this one together for a grand total of $22. ($8for the flag on amazon, $14 for zip ties, a steel ring, a couple pieces of PVC - and a 1/2" coupler and a home depot 5-gallon bucket). I got the inner tube from a junkyard. The flag will sit more than 4' over the waterline at its highest point. I haven't tested it yet, I'll let you know how it goes.

I added these rubbery twist tie things I had. They're much stronger than you think they'd be by looking at them. I'm pretty certain they will be good to easily secure fins or catch bags. I'm still planning on adding a sturdy plaque with my lobster permit # on it.

9608920364_da103e8d8d_b.jpg

9605686045_b3567c8cc5_b.jpg

9605687095_450ed7ffe0_b.jpg
--

-------- Post added August 27th, 2013 at 01:16 PM ----------

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom