Dive Flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone have tips on making a dive flag? We need one for next weekend- and to be honest, I've never even seen one, so I'm not really sure what it should look like (the float- I know what the flag looks like, I can sew that easily).

Just need something that is towable and floats?

I'd appreciate any help.

Why make one yourself? They're not that expensive.

Mostly because we are worried we won't be able to get it shipped to us before next weekend.
That one looks good though- how do you tow it?

Mostly because we are worried we won't be able to get it shipped to us before next weekend.
Originally I got one of those:

t_13341.jpg

It's easy to use, but also kinda awkward at the same time. I'm using a finger spool now, which I normally use with my SMB.

Don't you have an LDS around that would stock such things?

Dive Right in Scuba is out of Illinois. I don't think there would be much issue with getting it to you by next weekend unless they were out of stock. I have sent them my 1st stage, had it serviced, and returned in one week... that contained a holiday in it.

Don't you have an LDS around that would stock such things?

We do have a store, but oddly enough, I've never seen dive floats there. Part of the reason we were looking at DIY was because their spools are all like $50+ and that seems a lot to tow a dive flag.

I'd like to give the store a better look, but by the time I'm able to do that will shorten any possible shipping time if the only things they have are quite expensive (as much of their stuff tends to be).

We unfortunately didn't get much notice about this trip that will require a flag.

You probably don't want a round float (like a ball), it will be hard to pull it down, say if you want to bypass some surface line, you'd want to sink it under the line. You probably would want the float to be elongated vertically. Also, if it will be wavy, elongated float would sink a bit and not pull your hand with each wave.

You probably don't want a round float (like a ball), it will be hard to pull it down, say if you want to bypass some surface line, you'd want to sink it under the line. You probably would want the float to be elongated vertically. Also, if it will be wavy, elongated float would sink a bit and not pull your hand with each wave.

Thanks for the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom