easy deployable / submersible flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone here use a dive flag like shown in the video below? It looks like a foam cylinder with a flag sticking out. I'm sure it won't work well when being actively towed but it would be fine when diving near a tied-off DPV or perhaps with exiting in the shallows. I need something like that as I want to avoid towing a big float. If you use this foam thing I'm wondering what the buoyancy is -- how much weight is needed to offset it.

You know I used to know a lot of stuff but I don't know anything anymore these days

Screenshot (863).png

and that fingers poking out hand wriggling thing I think I might go poke my eyes out with a chopstick

How do surface boaters know that a diver is below if the flag is not on the surface? Shouldn't the dive flag be attached to a dive float that is sufficient enough to provide emergency surface flotation for you (and your buddy)?

Wouldn't a low drag dive float with attached diver-down flag be better?

rx7diver

How do surface boaters know that a diver is below if the flag is not on the surface? Shouldn't the dive flag be attached to a dive float that is sufficient enough to provide emergency surface flotation for you (and your buddy)?

Wouldn't a low drag dive float with attached diver-down flag be better?

rx7diver
First - around here most boaters have no clue what a dive flag is. Most often it's a magnet for them to come over and try to grab it. It also makes you a target for the asshats that think they are cute when they buzz it or use it as a slalom.

Second - If I am way below prop level there is no danger of a boat hitting me. Boaters have no need to know where I am when I'm that deep. The only time I really need it is when I am coming to the surface - either to board a boat or to exit to the shore.

Third - a deployed float is a terrible entanglement hazzard. I have never gotten tangled in anything, anywhere, no matter how much fishing line I encounter during clean up dives EXCEPT my effin dive flag line. It's also an additional, unnecessary task loading.

Fourth - seriously? Emergency surface floation for you and your buddy from a dive flag? Ever hear of an SMB? Far better choice. Stowed untill needed. Inflated for signal and buoyancy.

In short, if I was going to continue to dive frequently somewhere I need a flag, I'd opt for one of these. My current method is to Tie the flag near where I plan to exit and stay within a 100 feet. I retrieve it on my way out.

... My current method is to Tie the flag near where I plan to exit and stay within a 100 feet. I retrieve it on my way out.
Yes, this is the same approach I usually use here (in large freshwater lakes in MO and AR): Surface swim out, under snorkel power, towing the dive float with dive flag. Descend and tie off the float and flag. Dive around, being careful to not stray too far from the tie-off. Ascend after untying, reeling in the line. Swim back in, under snorkel power, towing the dive float and flag. Simple.

I also have a Carter Lift Bag dive float strapped to my kit, attached to a small reel. This DSMB has a dive flag "sleeve" surrounding its top. I sometimes will simply inflate this DSMB on the the surface, and use it (instead of a dive float and dive flag). I don't believe, though, that this satisfies legal dive flag requirements (if there are any).

rx7diver

For times when towing the flag is more of a hinderance than a help for avoiding boats, I glued a piece of velcro to the edge of my DSMB, then stitched some to the edge of my flag. If I'm in a spot where I need to have a flag up (or think it the boaters will know what it is and respect it), I just shoot it like I would any other DSMB at the end of the dive. As the OP noted, there's no need for boats to know where you are when you are 100' down.

I have a flag float (link below) similar to that in the video, that I've used in Florda where mandatory -- it meet's Florida's flag size requirement, which many on the market do not.

I have not purposefully tried to sink it below the surface, but it has happened unintentionally when the line was caught in some fishing line. I don't believe you'll need much, if any, additional weight if you want to dive with it underwater (maybe an extra pound or two?).

I have one like that, and it doesn't take much for it to go underwater. I suspect that while scootering around, it will sink, but at least you will be in compliance of the law (I hope).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom