Dive fitness, physicals and agency standards.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easdem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all:

First of all I want to tell you about a wonderful experience I had with the group at Duke Dive Medicine last week. I made an appointment with the group there, and had a comprehensive dive physical. The whole process was fast, efficient, virtually no waiting and the staff was polite, professional, and thorough.

I am starting a dive master course in the coming month and I was surprised that (as far as I know) none of the agencies in the US require anything more than the standard medical questionnaire to enter their professional ranks.

I am a healthy, active, young diver yet I am aware that there are some asymptomatic underlying medical issues that can strike at depth and can put my life (and my buddies) at risk. There is even more responsibility as a dive professional, when you are charged with keeping non-certified divers from hurting themselves.

I am taking this responsibility very seriously, that's why I took the physical even though it is not required by my agency.

It surprises me that in such a litigious society, training agency's don't have more stringent health standards for their professionals. I would imagine it would open them for liability...

what are you all's thoughts??

Further reason why I am continuing my dive training through GUE who sets physical standards for students in addition to instructors...

First of all I want to tell you about a wonderful experience I had with the group at Duke Dive Medicine last week. I made an appointment with the group there, and had a comprehensive dive physical. The whole process was fast, efficient, virtually no waiting and the staff was polite, professional, and thorough.

Nice to hear good feedback. It was a pleasure meeting you.

There are, in fact, rare problems that put anybody who is exercising at risk. The problem is that they ARE rare, and insisting that everyone who is going to exert himself get a screening electrocardiogram, for example, is really overkill. However, there are certainly folks with a worrisome family history for early sudden death, for example, who may not be aware that they should be screened for potential problems.

The majority of things that are going to present significant issues for a diver will have symptoms. The bad thing is that the fitness standards for professional level diving are too low, I think, rather than that there should be more of a medical evaluation.

I know for most major agencies (NAUI, PADI for sure) DM courses a physical signed off by a doctor is required- some doctors do a very through exam and others do a quickie but it up to the doctor and patient to decide on how in depth the exam is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom