Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove from Lake Travis Scuba dive boat:
Starnes Island:
Water temp: 83-65 degrees
Max depth: 65 feet
Visibility: 15-25 feet
Found a Body Glove bag with a child's mask, fins and snorkel. Also found a USA flag.

Wreck Alley:
Water temp: 83-65
Max depth: 63 feet
Visibility: 15 feet
Enjoyed diving the wrecks!

Tom Hughs: 06/18/2010
Air: mid 90's
Surface: low 80's
Depth: 42' max ; 78 deg at depth
Vis: poor at about 6' or so max. 

Two tanks burned at Tom Hughs.  Vis here today was pretty bad, max about 6' and pretty hazy with a lot of floating matter.  Stayed fairly shallow in search of fish on this trip.  Good dives.      

Windy Point Park
Weather: Partly cloudy skies, air temp in the low 90s.
Gas: Backgas was Helitrox with backgas for 40 and 30 foot deco stops, O2 for 20 and 10 foot deco stops,
Max depth: 110 feet
Water temp: 83 degrees on the surface, 56 degrees at 110.
Visibility: Murk layer around 40-50 feet. About 12-15 feet visibility at 110 feet.

Sunset charter trip report

Beautiful evening for a dive at Starnes Island with Dominique, Mike, Carrie, Paul, and Jennifer. Paul reported visibility of 20'+, Dominique was a treasure hunting machine, and Jennifer discovered more fossilized mullosks. Brandon enjoyed exploring topside and some swimming along the wall. The evening ended with a gorgeous sunset with Saturn shining bright in the sky, top left in photo.

Don't miss out on a relaxing way to break up the work week with a Sunset dive. Our schedule is posted on the web site, Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba. Submit a reservation to save your space.

Temps - See attached graph.
Vis - reported 20'+

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Attachments

• ltts_profplot_ppm.gif
    ltts_profplot_ppm.gif
    6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 80
Wednesday 6-23-10 7:00PM
Lake Travis Scuba
Starnes Island
Divers - carrielsal - paulw - Dominique - Mike - Jennifer
Air Temp 90
Water Temp @ Surface - 87
Water Temp @ 65' - 68
Water Temp @ 80' - 62
Max Depth - 85'
Vis to 25' - 3 to 5'
Vis 25' to 60' - 6 to 10'
Vis 70' to 85' - 20 to 30'
Dive Time - 52 min

As stated above we dove with Lake Travis Scuba and experienced maybe the best vis I have had at Travis, from the surface to about 20' the vis was not great but it kept getting better and better. We were in and out of several grotto's a had a great dive. Carrie was diving her side mount rig with a deco bottle and wanted to do a stride entry from the Giant Stride, got it done!
If you have not dove with Robert yet you are missing out because he runs a first class operation, give him a call.
a.jpgb.jpg

June 24, Spring Lake, San Marcos

Temp, the same
Vis, around 50'

The algae has bloomed over the past week. It has to be the amount of sunlight since the temp in the lake is constant.

Aaron had the three of us float webcam and clean up Deep Hole. This dive had the highest number of Fountain Darters that I have ever seen. One thing that was missing were Rio Grande perch, didn't see a single one of them.

Nice dive, our tanks were filled before we got out of the changing room and the boat drivers complimented me on the job we did.

Jack, James, Harry and I did two clean up dives at Shaker Plant and Wreck Alley, removing strings from Shaker Plant and lines tangled in the Pecan trees at Wreck Alley, so we could shoot some video of Shaker Plant remnants and the trees.

Vis:
Surface to 40' - typical lake vis 5-10'
40' - 105' - good vis 10' - 15'

Temps:
See graph below for temps to 60', this report matched my dive computer
Temp at Max depth - 57*

Below is two links for some video of the Pecan Trees, if you have not been to them before. Guide lines from the large houseboat lead you through the trees to reduce difficutly navigating the site and returning to a cluster of boats.

Pecan trees at Wreck Alley

Jack explores the Pecan trees at Wreck Alley

Come out for a dive from Giant Stride and explore the sites of Lake Travis. For participants in the Dive Around Texas program, each site counts toward your goal.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Attachments

• ltts_profplot_ppm.gif
    ltts_profplot_ppm.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 93
CSSP

Surface temp upper 80's
First thermal at 18' 77*
Second thermal at 26'... I really didn't stay below this long enough, but my computer did drop as low as 73*. Too cold for my 5/4/3

Vis 15-20 on the south end. Strong south wind. Vis on the north end probably not as good

Starnes Island - Lake Travis 6/30/2010

After a epic near 2hr drive to go 22 miles...ugh.

What a great sunset charter! Flat water, barely a breeze, air temp was down a bit thanks to rain in the area, and viz around the island is still quite good. We went down to 70 where we found viz to be 15-20, stayed about that depth and worked our way around the island, going up a few feet every so often. Viz is about 6-10' and hazy 50 to 20feet, and 3-6 to the surface. Once you get past the haze (and warmer water), it's as good as I've seen in the lake in a long time.

Nice way to end June...30th dive of the month on the 30th heh

Sunday CSSP

Surface Temp:89 degrees
Water: 82 degrees
25' Depth: 77 degrees
31' Depth: 72 degrees

Visibility: 16-18' at the platforms
Wall visibility: 3-8' due to divers in areas
Both boats visibility: 10'
Plane visibility: 8-10'

Abundant marine life and slight algae.

Beautiful day, picture taken mid afternoon. Not as crowded as I had expected.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 83

Back
Top Bottom