Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

July 3rd, 2010
Blue Lagoon
Huntsville, Texas
No Real Thermocline. 86 F down to 29 FT
Visibility 10 FT.
First dive at Blue Lagoon. Easy to overheat in 86 F water. Hard to find the location; google maps gives the incorrect address as 300 Pinedale Drive. Physical address is 649 Pinedale Drive, down the unimproved road aways. Lots of little white fish. Hit both the pilothouse boat and skeleton boat in Lagoon 2 before thunder and lightning scared everyone out of the lake! Fun.

July 4th 2010
CSSP
Terrell Texas

Surface 83
1st thermo 22ft - 77 degrees, low 70's down to 30ft

Sorry, lost too much weight, wetsuit doesn't fit and not enough natural insulation to venture deeper

1st dive was the best viz I personally have seen at the swamp. Could see the length of the plane
swam around the edge of the north end, down the wall past Scuba Toys dock, across near the silos and back up the north side to the rescue dock.

Almost had the place to myself for 3.5 hours.

Handed the keys to Alan as he was arriving when I finished dive 2

Beautiful day below

Rick, dove it 'yesterday' till we got rained out by one heck of a storm/lighting and steel tanks don't really mix! Did see Craig and CSSP LInda and her nice father. Great time just visiting and still had a nice dive.....was slinging my steel 1971 72cf for some skills practice and only breathing off it. Silo was 61ffw and around 61-62f.

Came back today as my family was scattered all over town. Used up the gas in that steel slung 72cf and then switched over to back gas to finish up a 2 hour dive, still trailing the 72cf on a leash. Vis was great east of the plane and at the plane, view divers , wore a 5mil both days as I planned a bit deeper stays. Now to BBQ for the family!

July 4, 2010 Trip Report - We enjoyed a early dive at Cypress Creek Wall and Starnes Island on this July 4th holiday. Cypress Creek Wall rivals Starnes Island for finding lost treasures since the party barges have been mooring up, giving their guests a new target to drop sunglasses, beaded necklaces, drinks and more. See the attached photo of the bounty found at this site.

After picking around at Cypress Creek Wall we moved to Starnes Island to explore the large grotto and see if any more bounty was left since we scavaged the site yesterday. A few items were found including a Freestyle dive watch and a really good sample of a fossilized something or other. Rue, can you explain what you found?

Visibility at both sites was outstanding below 40'. Temps matched that reported by the Lake Travis Tracking Station, see attached.

Thanks everyone for coming out to dive, including our out-of-town guests Ryan, Trey, and Theresa. We hope you enjoyed your Fourth of July diving from Giant Stride.

Attachments

• ltts_profplot_ppm.gif
    ltts_profplot_ppm.gif
    6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 78
July 5th GTTP Windy Point

Added another segment of line, staged a stake on the line. Took a while to get the old reel free so we burned up time and was only able to get one stake sunk.

83 surface 52 at max depth 158 fsw

Vis on the surface wasn't too good, a few feet of vis at 30 feet, below the thermo it opened up a little, on the bottom it was in inches, if I remember tonight I'll download the dive add the profile to give detailed temp profile from top to bottom.

Fish bit me on deco

Mansfield Park Dive Area
Max Depth: 140 feet
Temps: 83 degrees on surface, 73 degrees at 40 feet, 65 degrees at 70 feet, 56 degrees at 140 feet
Dove to the dam on this dive. Visibility varied throughout the dive. Would have 10-12 feet, then drop to 1-2 feet at the same depth, then open to 3-5 feet. There wasn't any consistency to the vis at all. Probably the best vis was at the 30 foot deco stop.

July 8, 2010
Tom Hughs Park - Lake Travis

Again stayed fairly shallow, max 45'. Thermocline at just over 35'. Also, very poor vis until 30' or deeper. Vis 0-30' was maybe 4-5' max, and past 30' it was slightly better to around maybe 6-8'. I doubt we saw 10' vis at all. Dove around the point and more into the marina's cove. Saw a HUGE yellow cat - maybe 15-20 lbs. Good hot day to be underwater...

richardso and Gina N. came in from Arlington for a dive so we had to make sure they had a chance to recover some treasure. Gina requested Cypress Creek Wall to explore and Jack's group of AOW divers needed a deep dive, so off we went after loading the boat. The site proved worthwhile for Gina, who returned from the dive with $23 in cash and sunglasses, Regina also found sunglasses, Andy recovered a mushroom anchor, Levi found a good rope and Southern Star Bombshell Blond beer. Maybe a taste report will be forthcoming...

We then moved the boat to Wreck Alley for the AOW class to explore the large houseboat while the others ventured through the Pecan trees, around to the other boats and the Toyota Corona Deluxe using the guide lines.

A summary of recovered items at Cypress Creek Wall from the weekend include: expensive sunglasses, drug paraphenalia, money, alchohol and party beads. Now we know what is going on on the party barges tied to the shoreline.

Thanks to all the divers for taking Giant Stride out for a dive.

Photos of the dive at: Lake Travis Scuba's Photos - July 11, 2010

Come on out to do your own exploring and treasure hunting. New items deposited every weekend while the party barges use the site.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
www.LakeTravisScuba.com

Last edited:
Spring Lake San Marcos

Temp, Same
Vis, 60'+
Spring Flow, 221cfs

AC has the harvester boat running again so we floated coontail from Riverbed and Catfish Hotel. The hump between Ossified Forrest and Cream of Wheat is very congested. Right now it is better to take the shallower path next to the bank.

Even though I've dived this site 4 or 5 times before I totally failed to find it :shakehead:
Either the orange line is missing or my navigation really sucks. Any bets which is most likely ?
Viz near surface was pretty bad.Below the thermocline it was maybe 10 feet.
Air temps in the nineties made a 3 mm wetsuit seem a sensible choice. A bottom temp of 56 degrees made me revise that opinion :D Seems unusually cold.Normally low 60's this time of year.
Saw probably the largest tree I have ever seen in Travis.On its side with the roots still in place. Loads of lines (yellow and white) running everywhere,look like they've been there a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom