Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

August 18-19 CSSP

Surface temp down to about 30 feet 85*

Horizontal vis roughly about 10 feet. I can still see across a platform lengthwise but it's just a shadow at the other end.

First thermal starts about 31'. Vis goes to about 2 feet. I didn't drop below the first thermal.

The lake is a little down. The deck of the platforms are sitting about 21' The rain last weekend didn't do much.

Aug 22 - Mansfield Dam - Max Depth 48' for 49 minutes. Average 23' water temp 79f.

Aug 24 - Old Scuba Park - Max 35' Average 23' for 16 minutes water temp 84f. Vis 6'
....quick dip to check out the sunken boat that an out of towner hadn't seen.

Aug 24 Oasis Wall - Max 39' Average 22' for 56 minutes water temp 82f. Vis 10'
(stayed above the wall so buddy wouldn't get cold )

Ready to go back out on Sunday.

August 25 Mammoth lake

I wish I had known the instructors priviledge at Mammoth Lake was gone. (If not working a class instructors pay to get in)

Water temp 86* Vis 5-7 feet. The place was busy today.

Aug 26 - Starnes Island - Lake Travis 3pm - 7pm

Lots of party barges out tonight. Guess everyone figures the first day of school doesn't require any effort other then showing up.

First dive was max 40 (average 24) for 90 minutes. Didn't find many goodies. Water was a nice 86f and vis was around 8'.

Second dive was for 30 minutes and we called it quits since it was getting past 7pm and time to go home.

August 26 CSSP about 85 at the surface, thermocline about 27' viz about 5' most areas, not much better along the wall, water is kind of foggy.

Aug 29 - Mansfield Dam

There was a really good showing tonight. Probably about 8-10 people. Capt Bland and Wendy were there along with a bunch of other regulars. The lake continues to go down and the closest boat is now sticking out a couple feet from the water. Vis was pretty cruddy but heh, I got wet for just over an hour.

I grilled my Texas Sweet rub chicken wings and adobo seasoned asparagus. No complaints were heard from anyone. My awesome buddy provided the liquid refreshments as usual. What a pal.

Athens Scuba Park, Athens Texas
Sept. 1, 2012

Water Temp 84 degrees
Viz 20'

It was a nice day at ASP. Not many folks out and we benefited with good viz.
Water levels are still low. Getting out on the ladders at #10 and #11 are a challenge at best.
Good dives and beautiful day for diving.

Video on youtube: Athens Scuba Park 9/1/12 - YouTube

Mansfield Dam - Lake Travis Wednesday 9/12 The usual group didn't show up so my buddy and I just did our dive and headed over to Rudy's instead of lighting up the grill. Water keeps getting lower and lower and the boat near the shore keeps getting more and more exposed. Headed all the way to the dam and followed the line down to about 85' where we found a boat. I didn't know that was there. Found a big carp on the way back. He barely moved. Not sure if it was injured or not.

---------- Post Merged at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Lake Travis - Starnes Island - Sat 8/15 Water was 81f but the vis was crap. Not too bad 15-30' (maybe 5-10' ) but going down to 40 and beyond just got worse and worse. Dove with a new buddy who just got certified and he was fun to dive with. Trim and buoyancy was decent and he stayed right next to me the whole time. Who says all recent O/W grads suck? :)

Friday, 09/21
Windy Pt. Private: 61 ft max. 48 min. bottom time. 79 degrees at max depth. Viz 8 to 10 ft. I was prepared for the long trip down the stairs and back up, but the ladder was a "real special" suprise.

Hippy Hollow Night Dive with Lake Travis Scuba: Bouy line took us right down into the pecan tree branches at 55 ft. 62 ft max. 42 min. bottom time. 74 degree at max depth. Viz 8 to 10 ft. Nice grottos along the wall between 40 to 45 ft. Some large enough to swim through. As always a great time on the Giant Stride with great folks.

Sunday 9/23
CSSP

Surface to 21ft 82 degrees, slight thermocline beginning to develop

Vis improving from 4ft last week, up to 10ft in spots in the south and west areas. Vegetation beginning to recede, exposing the treasures. Lots of students through there this year, Bob may need a larger bin for the lost and found : )

Come on drysuit season!

Back
Top Bottom