Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friday, June 29, 2012
CSSP, Terrell TX
Visibility: 8-10 feet
Thermocline: 26 feet
Surface Temp: 87 degrees

Dive 1: 2 hours, 24 minutes; 29 feet max depth

Dive 2: 3 hours, 2 minutes; 29 feet max depth

Some pics from the dives:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg

The viz at CSSP is the best I have seen it in a couple of years I could clearly see the training platform from the surface.

Saturday, July 7, 2012
CSSP, Terrell, TX
Visibility: 20 ft +
Thermocline: 27 ft
Surface Temp: 85 degrees

Dive 1: 54 min., 32 ft max (East Wall)

Dive 2: 52 min., 32 ft max ( cabin cruisers/ surrounding areas)

Dive 3: 54 min., 30 ft max (south end of lake). Lots of bluegill guarding their nests. Spotted 2 albino catfish. Some very large catfish hanging out in the grottos along the south end.

Dive 4: Aborted due to storm moving in.

Fantastic dives. Well worth the drive. Reminded me of the german lakes where I first learned to dive but much warmer.

Thursday July 12, 2012
Windy Point, Lake Travis
Visibility: 10-15 ft
Thermocline: small one around 20, bigger one around 40ft
Surface Temp: Bath Water
Bottom Temp: 62f

Been watching the weather all week and finally had a chance to hit it.

Dive 1: Down the chain at entrance 3 to the 60' platform and then down to a sailboat that was in 95'. ( Probably about 135' full pool ) Back up and tour the area. About 35 minutes total.
Dive 2: Nite dive. Entered at dusk and came out pitch black. Buddy was wearing a double hose with no BC so we stayed about the termocline. Toured the area for about 35 - 40 minutes.

All in all it was a nice night. It's good to know that Richard doesn't care how late you stick around. Didn't get home until about 11:30pm and my wife was actually awake and wanting to know all about my dives. It's always good to share that side of me with her.

Thursday July 14, 2012 - Night Dive
Hippie Hollow, Lake Travis
Visibility: 10-15 ft
Temps: Unknown. Comfortable in just swimsuit trunks at 20' - 25'

My schedule for the weekend didn't line up with my regular buddy so I went out without him. Dove with Mike and Cat off Hippie Hollow just after the BBB Event hoping to find some loot. Alas, these must have been some of the most careful drunks ever cause all I came up with was a pair of sunglasses and some mens swim trunks that I'd rather not touch.

The sound of the drum fish croaking was present the whole dive.

Wednesday 7-18-12 3:00pm
Lake Travis, Bob Wentz
Divers – paulw
Air Temp - 92
Water Temp 83 (from 0-50ft) 63 (60ft) 61@86'
Max Depth - 86'
Vis to 50' - 15'
Vis @ 50 25' at 86 30-35'
Dive Time - 60 min

Really nice dive, The plan was to go past the Bell Grotto and down to the "wreck" and the vis from the start to the boat was outstanding, probably 25'. When I started just below the thermocline at 50 the vis was chrystal clear and down on the wreck at 86' it was a cold 61deg , spooky dark and the vis was clear and probably 35' ! GREAT! As I ascended and hit the lower line that is at 50' now there was a distinct funk layer that wasn't there 10 minutes ago and the vis was down from 20' to 10'. I looked at my GoPro video to see if it saw what I thought I saw and it confirmed what I saw. I have no idea what happened although when I started there wasn't even a breeze blowing and the lake was flat and there was a breeze and some waves when I surfaced. It is hard to believe I am still wearing my 5mil and a hood in the middle of July. Great dive.

Sunday, July 22, 2012
CSSP at Terrell, TX
88 degrees on the surface
8 feet viz
Thermocline at 28 feet. I was in a dive skin so didn't venture below that.

Dive 1: 3 hours 17 minutes. Max depth of 28 feet.

Dive 2: 3 hours 6 minutes. Max depth of 27 feet.

Saw 5 turtles during my dive. Ally Gator is still on a big rock by Sisco. Vegetation very tall this year; the big tire at the channel entrance is almost hidden. Lots of schools of baby fish darting around. Also saw the albino catfish resting in a hydrilla. Fun day at the pond :)

Last edited:
Sunday, July 29, 2012
Lake Travis, TX
Dove with JamesR on the Giant Stride. I think PualW was on the boat also.

Dive 1: Starnes Island 9:00am Max 88 Avg 42 for 51 minutes. Water temp at depth 63f. Vis at depth was about 20'.
Dive 2: Oasis Wall 11:00am Max 109 Avg 46 for 53 minutes. Water temp at depth 58f. Vis at depth was about 20'.

Viz below 60' at Wentz has been outstanding for the last few weeks. It's definitely 5 mil territory but well worth it.

Saturday, 08/04/2012
Lake Travis w/ Lake Travis Scuba
Dive #1 - Starnes Island, 9:09 AM. 41 ft max (wearing 2 mill shorty), 52 min. bottom time, temp at depth of 78 degrees. Viz 15'+ at depth.
Dive #2 - Shaker Plant, 11:06 AM. 65 ft max (5 mil full with hood), 50 min. bottom time, temp at depth 68 degrees. Viz 20 ft+ at depth.
Dive #3 (solo) - Hippie Hollow, 1:42 PM. 64 ft max (5 mil with hood), 51 min. bottom time, temp at depth 68 degrees. Viz 20 ft+ at depth. Swam thru the peacan grove (looked like the haunted forest in the Brothers Grimm movie). Way too cool!!!
Dive #4 (solo) - Shaker Plant, 4:16 PM. 53 ft max (5 mil with hood), 53 min. bottom time, temp at depth 73 degrees. Viz 20 ft + at depth. Explored the grottos.

Back
Top Bottom