Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunday, September 30, 2012
CSSP, Terrell TX
Water temp: 76 degrees
Air temp: 69 degrees
Thermocline: 36 feet - cold and dark beneath it

Did 1 dive at Terrell. Water was warmer than the air. Usual fish were out, and saw 1 turtle moving kind of slow so I got a good look. Surface interval was cold so I called it a day. Good dive :)

Sunday Sep 30
Lake Travis - Hippy Hollow

I went to Dallas for the weekend to go to the State Fair (very rainy) and was heading back to Austin when my buddy called at about 12:30 saying that he was on the way to Mike's boat for a 1:00 trip. I gave Mike a call and told him I could be there by 1:30 if he wanted to wait. Thank God I always keep my gear prepped and ready to go at a moment's notice!

Went down to about 75' to check the anchor and then started following the wall to the west. Temp was about 62f. After about 15minutes I told my buddy I was a cold so we headed up and found warmer water at about 55'. 30 minutes in we turned the dive and headed up to 40 and then 20 and then 10. Total time was 1 hour.

I found a mesh bag in the water that was covered in silt. I shook it and swam a little and shook it some more until I could finally see that there was nothing in it. Booo! It was like having Pig Pen's blanket with me. Mike found an unopened bottle of Champaign.

We decided to pass on the second dive and just skip to the socializing part. The sun came out and we were all warmed up.

Sunday, October 7, 2012
CSSP, Terrell TX
Water Temp: 71 degrees
Thermocline: 40 feet
Viz: About 6 feet

1st dive: 1 hour 40 minutes
2nd dive: 2 hours 2 minutes

5 mm wetsuit, 7mm hood.

Water felt warmer than the air. Saw the coffin. It's laying on its side and hasn't been moved in awhile. Topmost part of the coffin is at 37 feet so you can see it without going below the thermocline.

Sunday, October 14, 2012
CSSP, Terrell TX
Water Temp: 71 degrees
Thermocline: 41 feet
Viz: About 5 feet

1st dive: 1 hour 51 minutes
2nd dive: 1 hour 40 minutes

5 mm wetsuit, 7mm hood.

Lots of people at the pond today. Stayed mostly in the 30 foot area. Saw a few fish and got close enough to an albino catfish to touch it, but they can always tell when you're about an inch away. Sun was shining bright most of the day and it made for a warm surface interval :)

Clear Springs, Terrell Texas
October 20, 2012

Water Temp 71 degrees
Air Temp 62 degrees at 9 am, 84 degrees at 1 pm
Viz at North End of Lake 3'-5'

Nice day at the CSSP. Not too many folks on the water.
Viz was low...it appears that the lake is starting to turn over.

Completed Stress & Rescue class with Brent from Dive West.

Good times.

Sunday, October 21, 2012
CSSP, Terrell TX
Water temp 69 degrees
Viz about 5 feet, less in the training areas
Thermocline at 43 feet--pitch black and cold below

Dive 1 - 1 hour 38 minutes, 45 feet max depth
Dive 2 - 1 hour 57 minutes, 47 feet max depth

Saw 1 turtle and a few fish. Fun 2 dives :)

Athens Scuba park 10/20 5mm wetsuit w/0 hood, vis good to around 50'. Lots of boats and things to see, water low, deepest part of park currently around 25'

Sunday, October 28, 2012
CSSP, Terrell TX
Water Temp: 65 degrees
Air Temp: 50 degrees, sunny
Thermocline: 47 feet
Viz: About 6 feet

1st and only dive: 1 hour 51 minutes

7 mm wetsuit, 7mm hood

Lots of people at the pond today. Underwater was well lit by ambient light down to the thermocline. A few fish were out. Fun day :)

Nov 4, 2012 - Lake Travis - Oasis Wall

A beautiful 80f and sunny day on the lake aboard The Giant Stride. Water temp was 72f down to 70' an 62f-59f down to 100'.

Sat Nov 3rd, 2012
Rigs 30-35 NM SW of Freeport, TX
Water Temp 74F
Air Temp 82-86F throughout the day
Viz varied from 15-30 feet with best viz around 20-30 feet in depth
Comments: typical GOM fish such as spades, jacks, triggerfish, blennys, angelfish and a shark. A nice day out on the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom