Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CSSP - Terrell, TX
June 8-9, 2012

Air Temp: Hot and muggy Friday afternoon. Not too bad on Saturday morning (all were diving dry)

These are basic average readings throughout the two days:

Surface Temp: 81
Temp @ 25': 73
Temp @ 33': 68 (North end Saturday morning)
Temp @ 41': 64
Temp @ 52': Didn't stay long enough for the computer to register it....lol.

Teammates: Bryan and Korvette

Patchy vis. We started on the stair entry just across from the fill station. Where we dropped, we had 15' or so and it degraded all the way to Cisco. However, at both boats we had about 12-15' again.

Saturday morning, we could see the top of the plane on the North end from the surface and the top is basically 18-19'. Vis in the middle around the sailboat degraded again; however, the wall was back around 20' vis.

Anyway, great dives with good people. The night dive was a blast!

The Blue Lagoon, Huntsville TX, 6/16/2012

Temp at Depth - 86F at 22 feet
Visibility - Approx 15 feet generally but varied around some of the platforms depending on amount of activity of other divers.

Lake Murray - Marietta's Landing
June 16, 2012

Air Temp: Hot and muggy.

Surface Temp: 79
Temp @ 30': 72
Temp @ 50': 68ish

Two thermoclines, but nothing abrupt.

Vis: 10-12' along the wall to the West of the general entry point, 8-10' around the platforms and boats, etc. Maybe 2-3' and dark around 40 ffw.

Teammates: Bryan and Korvette and another Brian.

Good, fun dives. :)

Date: Sunday, June 17, 2012
Water Temp: 84 on the surface
Visibility: above the thermocline about 10 feet (away from training area)
Thermocline: 24 feet and 32 feet

1st dive -- 2 hours, 45 minutes. Went to the bottom of the silo, which is now at 56 feet. Didn't get the temp down there, it was too cold to stick around.

2nd dive -- 2 hours, 40 minutes. Meandered through vegetation across the channel, and east along the bank. Lots of schools of baby fish, and a few catfish about.

2012-06-17 (1).JPG2012-06-17 (3).JPG2012-06-17 (4).JPG2012-06-17 (5).JPG2012-06-17 (7).JPG2012-06-17 (12).JPG2012-06-17 (13).jpg2012-06-17 (15).JPG

p.s. How do I load these pics full size? Don't really want thumbnails.

Wednesday 6-20-12 3:00pm
Lake Travis, Mansfield Dam
Divers – paulw
Air Temp - 86
Water Temp 83 (from 0-50ft) 63 (60ft)
Max Depth - 70'
Vis to 50' - 3 to 8'
Vis @ 50 15'
Dive Time - 70 min

Normal dive at the dam, the vis was all over the place. From the surface to about 25ft the vis was 4-8ft and from 25 to 50 it was 3-6ft but at 50 it opened to about 15ft with the usual cloud of muck now and then. I would have thought the temps at depth would have come up by now but at 60' it is still cold at 63deg.

June 23, 2012

Temp @ 30': 75

Vis:8-12' varied. Both dives general training dives, S-drills, hovering and kicks.

Teammates: Gillty and KyleHarmon.

My teammates looked awesome, as expected, and I suppose I wasn't too bad on these dives. There were moments of knees dropping on the kicks, but overall, my trim wasn't too bad. :) Again, great dives. Thanks for letting me tag along, guys.

Last edited:
June 27, 2012

Teammate: BCleatus

Temp @ 34': 78

Vis:8-12' varied. 8 around the platforms and 12 on the West side of the wall.

Two nice older gentlemen arrived on top of the platforms in their boat. They were flying their scuba flag and diving, so no harm, no foul....I just thought it funny that they were diving Marietta's Landing in a boat. Speaking of that dive flag, BCleatus and I surfaced from dive one and began to swim back to the entry when they called to us for help. Apparently, one was having an ear problem and couldn't go back down and their dive flag had fallen off the boat. We were happy to help and recovered it in about 26' of water.

Anyway, 3 good training dives and some decent video of 3 big carp on one of the boats.

Mansfield Dam - June 27, 2012

Hoped to see some pieces folks but only one showed up and left without diving. That means I brought way too many Elgin Southside Sausages to grill. Oh we tried to eat them all though. :)

So the dive gods weren't smiling on us initially. I was assembling my gear when I found out that I'd broken the top cam strap buckle pin on my BP/W. I took it off and moved the top to the bottom. Not as tight as it should be and a bit wiggly but I decided to go with it anyways.

It was soo dang hot ( probably 100f+ outside ) and getting into the water with my 5/3 + 3/2 just wasn't any relief. My buddy came down and hard a problem with his SPG (high pressure spool hissing ). We decided to just stay shallow and go diving anyways. Well, that wasn't working out. The water was bath tub hot and the vis was junk. After a few minutes I thumbed the dive.

At this point a couple more divers showed up and my buddy and I decided what was next. We were both willing to give up but instead agreed that he should go get his old school rig ( no bc ). I took my wetsuit off so I was in my BP/W and just swim trunks and now the water was much more tolerable.

So we ended up going down to 34' for about 35 minutes. I took his weight belt at depth (just a few lbs) and returned it to him at the safety stop. The water temperature was soo refreshing around 30 - 32' but started to get a little cold at 34+. It was probably around 72f. Vis was around 6'-8'.

Not the best dive day in the world but we made it work. Oh, and the sausage and Spaten Lager was yummy.

Till next time... stay wet my friends.

Better late than never
June 24
Lake Travis
Surface temp `81F

Dive 1
Starnes island - river channel side
max depth 51 ffw
temp at depth 69F
viz 0-30 1-3'
viz 30-45 5-10'
viz 45-max depth 1-3'
Treasure hunting was good. 10 pairs of glasses, stainless locking blade knife, hat, rosary beads, crystal necklace, Kansas drivers license. No need to go below 51ffw for this dive.

Dive 2
Oasis wall
max depth 107 ffw
temp at depth 58F
viz 0-30 1-3'
viz 30-50 0-5'
viz 50-70 3-5'
viz 70-95 5-10'
viz 95-107 1-3'

I found an old mask worth nothing. I left a boat ladder around 103ffw and a nice anchor around 72ffw. After 20 mins at 100ffw it was a little cold for a 5mil. I ascended to crappy viz around grotto level then warm bath water above that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom