Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can easily find computers for $250 that are nitrox capable and for under 200 on eBay brand new or open Box

this is not a cheap sport and a computer is a potentially life saving piece of equipment

My vote is to go get your own computer

a computer is a potentially life saving piece of equipment
I agree that new divers are best off getting a computer, in fact I think getting one was one my earliest post-certification purchases; at that time they were a little more expensive, but you could still find deals.

But, I have to take issue with the idea that a dive computer is a potentially life saving piece of equipment, at least for a new diver. I can sort of see the idea in theory, mostly due to ascent rate alerts helping to deter an uncontrolled ascent. But new divers are very unlikely to have NDL issues unless they are diving far more aggressive profiles than is the norm, and generally new divers are not very good on air, so they end up with generally shorter dives. That's not always the case, but it's typical.

What I do think is potentially life saving for new divers is some basic knowledge of how dive behavior affects DCS risk and learning to dive accordingly. A computer can help with that process but it's not at all necessary.

Hi @dtabas

I also come down on the side of renting a dive computer for you first trip. @lowwall and @tursiops covered overnight carryover quite nicely, insignificant.

I would advise not investing in an inexpensive computer that is unlikely the one you will want to be diving when you have more experience. Wait a while, get more experience, and learn the basics of dive computers before making your choice.

Get nitrox certified as soon as you're able. The didactic work can all be completed online, and the certification finished after a brief meeting with your local dive store or dive operator.

I agree that new divers are best off getting a computer, in fact I think getting one was one my earliest post-certification purchases; at that time they were a little more expensive, but you could still find deals.

But, I have to take issue with the idea that a dive computer is a potentially life saving piece of equipment, at least for a new diver. I can sort of see the idea in theory, mostly due to ascent rate alerts helping to deter an uncontrolled ascent. But new divers are very unlikely to have NDL issues unless they are diving far more aggressive profiles than is the norm, and generally new divers are not very good on air, so they end up with generally shorter dives. That's not always the case, but it's typical.

What I do think is potentially life saving for new divers is some basic knowledge of how dive behavior affects DCS risk and learning to dive accordingly. A computer can help with that process but it's not at all necessary.

This is why I was careful in my wording when I said *potentially*

We did a dive at Devils Throat last week in cozumel and I was sure happy to have my computer when my time was at 1 minute NDL.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom