Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm organizing my bookcases and I just happened to come across my old PADI RDP (plastic dive planner card). The longest surface interval required after a no decompression dive to get you back to pressure group A is only 3 hours.
...and 6h (i.e., overnight) gets you back to "clean."
But the Navy tables require 12h to get clean.

I used table and "Wheel"(after completing the multi-level speciality course) for the first 48 dives before deciding I would pursuit the sport and bought a computer.

Yes many of us started with tables and wheels. Maybe some colored ribbons for a depth gauge haha. But computers were much less common and more expensive then and those stories don't really help the OP. If you're diving on your own, whatever. But times have changed and they are often required by ops. If you are diving with an op there's a good chance their profiles are not even supported by tables.

Basic computers are pretty cheap, especially relative to your training, cost of trip, etc. Buying one rather than renting here and there makes financial sense pretty quickly - a 150-200 one or even less used, not a $900 one. And having one you are familiar with always makes sense.

I'd probably spend the $30 and rent. In fact, the last op I used furnished a computer as part of the normal gear rental. They all show NDL on the home screen, so there is nothing to "learn". As a reminder, the OP isn't even setting a nitrox mixture.

If diving remains an interest, then sure, a computer should be one of the first purchases. (Definitely get one after/if OP pursues nitrox, since menu navigation would be a must.) Just bear in mind that not everyone sticks with this as a regular hobby.

I'll second @inquisit's advice about renting for this trip. Buy if and when you start diving locally or plan a full week trip somewhere.

But if you want something cheap, the best you are going to do is probably the Mares Puck Pro currently on sale at scuba.com for $215. It's nitrox capable so fine for rec diving. But it's monochrome and kind of clunky. If you want style, smartphone integration, air integration and/or a color screen, it's going to cost a lot more.

I plan to spend 3 days doing (guided) dives in PDC/Cozumel this December after getting my open water certification. Do I need to buy my own dive computer? I would prefer to rent but I don't envision a way to keep track of my nitrogen levels from day to day (unless I rent one package for the entire 3 day period, which would be difficult logistically). Any advice on rental gear for a multi day guided dive trip would be appreciated.
You don't need to buy your own computer for three days of diving, but are you planning on quitting diving after? If not, it makes sense to get something you can continue to use. All you need is time/depth/N2 loading info and an ascent rate indicator, and even the most basic dive computer has that info.

For my first 40 dives I used dive tables only.
I used tables for my first 30 years of diving. That doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. It's great to understand the tables but computers give you more bottom time and improve overall safety (if used correctly). I definitely encourage my students to get a computer as soon as they can afford it (following mask, fins, and regulator). The problem with rental computers is not their capabilities. All major manufacturers make computers with basically the same functionality. The issue is that renters don't know how to use them. Get your own computer and read the manual so you know how to properly dive with it. You'll be safer and happier.

I'd probably spend the $30 and rent. In fact, the last op I used furnished a computer as part of the normal gear rental. They all show NDL on the home screen, so there is nothing to "learn". As a reminder, the OP isn't even setting a nitrox mixture.
Renting makes sense in some cases. But, there _are_ things to learn. How many times have there been stories here where a computer was giving someone a ceiling, telling them to make a stop, other things, and they had no idea what it was telling them. Yeah shouldn’t happen, but stuff does, and everyone would be telling them to RTFM.

I used tables for my first 30 years of diving. That doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. It's great to understand the tables but computers give you more bottom time and improve overall safety (if used correctly). I definitely encourage my students to get a computer as soon as they can afford it (following mask, fins, and regulator). The problem with rental computers is not their capabilities. All major manufacturers make computers with basically the same functionality. The issue is that renters don't know how to use them. Get your own computer and read the manual so you know how to properly dive with it. You'll be safer and happier.
Never said computers are better or worse. For me, I saw no need to rush into an entry level device that I would end up wanting to replace in 2 years. Tables worked fine for me for basic dives until I was able to save up for a device that I can grow into for the next 10 years. For me it was also worthwhile to get familiar with the tables in case my computer has an issue. I have no regrets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom