Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtabas

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I plan to spend 3 days doing (guided) dives in PDC/Cozumel this December after getting my open water certification. Do I need to buy my own dive computer? I would prefer to rent but I don't envision a way to keep track of my nitrogen levels from day to day (unless I rent one package for the entire 3 day period, which would be difficult logistically). Any advice on rental gear for a multi day guided dive trip would be appreciated.

Have you decided where you're staying? It's common for a dive operator in one place to have arrangements with a shop in the other (e.g., picking you up at the ferry). Many (but not all) ops will rent computers (typically around $10 USD/day)

I would buy a basic computer after you get certified -- $150 or so.

You will be spending a bunch of money to travel to Cozumel and dive there. Why not own a computer that you know how to read so you can maximize your time underwater? It may be a headache find a shop that will rent a computer. One less thing to worry about.

I plan to spend 3 days doing (guided) dives in PDC/Cozumel this December after getting my open water certification. Do I need to buy my own dive computer? I would prefer to rent but I don't envision a way to keep track of my nitrogen levels from day to day (unless I rent one package for the entire 3 day period, which would be difficult logistically). Any advice on rental gear for a multi day guided dive trip would be appreciated.
Renting is fine. Residual nitrogen from the previous day is simply not an issue with recreational dive profiles.

^

The device is practical/useful. With spare cash then why not otherwise rental one is a good alternative. If you can get the same one is better but not critical.

Enjoy the trip.

I'd buy a cheap computer and learn how it works before the trip. No fun fumbling with a strange computer on a dive trip.

Residual nitrogen from the previous day is simply not an issue with recreational dive profiles.
I'm organizing my bookcases and I just happened to come across my old PADI RDP (plastic dive planner card). The longest surface interval required after a no decompression dive to get you back to pressure group A is only 3 hours.

I’d encourage you buy a dive computer that you can Learn and understand how it works. It is a critical piece of safety gear, will allow you longer dive times than tables, and can help you begin to build your kit. Many operators require them. You can get a Cressi Leonardo for about $200…a bit more than you might pay renting.

I'd be inclined to buy either a used Leonardo or Puck Pro from this well-regarded online retailer and read up on how to use it. I haven't used a Leonardo, but have over 140 dives on the Puck Pro and it works just fine for recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom