Dive computers failure rates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive computer manufacturer we try to keep accurate specs on failure rates of our own products as well as our competitor's products.

From our internal information and industry connections, the failure rates we have seen over the expected service lifetime of a computer vary from 0.5% to 50%, based on the brand and model. And don't think that any particular brand makes you safe. For example, while Suunto is generally a reliable brand, the early D3 was a disaster in terms of failure rates. The Stinger on the other hand was very reliable.

A user changeable battery dramatically reduces the reliability of most models, even if only because the addition of user error.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I'd like to know the failure rates of dive computers broken down by model, user error/maintenance issues, manufacturing issues and simple electronics failure.

I'd be interested to know this as a percentage of units sold and as a comparison to a standard SPG. Is such info available for divers to make a informed decision?

Also what is considered acceptable from a design standpoint for such devices?
Atom 2.0 -- MISERABLE FAILURE! So, I bought an Atom 2.0 less than four months ago. Okay, so granted, it was a "demo" from ScubaToys, but within a couple of weeks it went blank on me. Credit to Oceanic -- they swapped it for a new one, no questions asked. Dove it 6 times without a problem -- then, without warning...........it went TOTALLY BLANK (sound familiar). Oceanic replaced it AGAIN. Now, two months later.............TOTALLY BLANK (deja vu'). Oceanic's response, "Return the unit to us for evaluation". *** -- three units in a row with EXACTLY the same failure mode?!? How the heck am I EVER going to dive this ($1000) dive computer with ANY level of confidence. My advice: AVOID OCEANIC DIVE COMPUTERS!!!!

Again, model for model is sometimes wildly different. I've had nothing but success with my VT3 (kissing cousin to the Atom 2.0) for over 200 dives (some of which have been very deep and some very cold). Plan on using tomorrow when we cut a hole in the ice and go diving...

I have both a VT3 and an Atom 2.0 and they have both been solid performers.
The VT3 is 2 years old and the Atom I've have for a year now.

My VT3 has been great. My buddies have VT3's and one had a problem but it was quickly replaced.

As a dive computer manufacturer we try to keep accurate specs on failure rates of our own products as well as our competitor's products.

From our internal information and industry connections, the failure rates we have seen over the expected service lifetime of a computer vary from 0.5% to 50%, based on the brand and model. And don't think that any particular brand makes you safe. For example, while Suunto is generally a reliable brand, the early D3 was a disaster in terms of failure rates. The Stinger on the other hand was very reliable.

A user changeable battery dramatically reduces the reliability of most models, even if only because the addition of user error.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

While I applaud your making a statement on this subject I also have to take it with a grain of salt.
First I find it highly unlikely that any manufacturer has accurate information about other manufacturers failure rates.
Secondly making a statement like yours without including a model by model breakdown of the failure rate figures for your own products isn't of any value to this forum.
So here the real question to you and your company... Are you going to take a leadership role and make these figures publicly or are you going to continue to take pot shots at your competition with erroneous data.

For others that may take your statement to heart.. It should be said that some models from various manufacturers have had problems during the innitial release but were later corrected and are very fine products. Manufacturers also keep track of such data and issue safety recalls, make repairs or replace those early products to rectify the potential problems.

While I agree with your issue with user replaceable batteries being a potential problem I feel that the proper fix isn't a tech service replacement but water tight battery compartments. At least this way the equipment remains user servicable after a leak. Mares/Decor took this issue into consideration with the M2 and I find their solution a great budget saver for the average diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom