Dive computer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also agree with the Atmos 2 recommendation. The XR2, I think it is, is the slightly newer version of it, looks a bit smaller, display seems (to me) a bit uglier, but I think the guts are the same. I had my Atmos 2 stolen last week and I'll probably replace it with the same, there's not much about it I don't like other than that someone took it!

The computer mentioned costs $389, the webpage blurb doesn't say if that includes the interface cable and software. Does it or do you need to buy the $75 interface cable to connect it to the computer like he wants, thus driving the price above his limit?

It is a fine computer however, just curious if it meets the price requirements after it's able to connect to the computer?

I thought I remember hearing that Aeris and Oceanic computer are the same, just minor design changes and rebranding.

Aeris Atmos Elite = Oceanic VT3
Aeris Atmos 2 = Veo 250
Aeris Atmos AI = Pro Plus II (with design change)

Even the computer interface cable is the same. This sound right to anyone else.

Thanks all for your assistance. The Aeris looks to be the best bet. I saw the Aeris AI console for a $100 more. Has anyone had experience with this?

I second aeris atmos 2 wrist from scubatoys. call and ask for a scubaboard discount to get 10% off. i think it's only about $300 (EDIT: that's with the USB cable included). the aeris algorithm is also more liberal than suunto and some of the other units, which is good because you can always dive it more conservatively if you want to, but not the other way around without it locking you out. in addition it has user-replaceable batteries and a good gauge mode.

I prefer wrist units because it's much more convenient to check at you wrist than to unclip and look at a console unit.

Wireless AI would be nice, but it's still fairly unreliable and it'll double the cost - you won't be able to stay under $400 if you want that. Also, a regular SPG works just fine.

note: if see tech diving in your future, then consider the uwatec aladin tec 2g (though the first model had some reliability issues).

I usually don’t agree with our competitors! But he may be right the Aeris Atmos 2 may be the best deal out there right now! You can get a fully loaded version with quick disconnect, compass and knives on the back for under 400.

We also like the Mares Air lab This is the only air intergraded computer on the market under $500.00 way under at $372.75

Good luck!

Oh sure where was the 10 % off from scubatoys on the order I placed last Sun LOL
Well now I know for the future ( no biggie only 15 bucks:( hey wait thats us )

Vyper.

Might be slightly more expensive, but I started with (and still use) the Suunto Vyper and added the Computer Interface Kit later (think it cost about $125).

Just as a note, I personally think the computer interface concept is a little overblown. Although I regularly download my dives to my PC, the usefullness of the detailed dive information is a little overrated. It is nice to see the the dive profiles shown graphically, but my logbook is what I really maintain and what I feel is the the most critical aspect of recording your dives. Therefore, the ability to access and log stored dive history information - while you are on your surface interval - is more important IMHO. Also, another critical function is the ability of the computer to perform dive planning beween dives to determine when you have conducted a sufficient surface interval for your next dive depth & duration.

Also, I would recomend reviewing the conservative/aggressive programming of the computer brands you are considering in additional to the capability to adjust personal and altitude settings. This is very valuable!

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom