Dive Computer No Deco Computations Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, but this sounds like a bug to me.
It is quite clear in the Suunto manuals. For example, in the D9 manual, on p78, iot says:
"The Error Mode results from omitted decompression, i.e. when you stay above the​
ceiling for more than three minutes. During this three-minute period the Er warning is​
shown and the audible alarm beeps. After this, the dive computer will enter a permanent​
Error Mode. The instrument will continue to function normally if you descend below​
the ceiling within this three-minute period.​
Once in the permanent Error Mode only the ER warning is shown in the center window.
The dive computer will not show times for ascent or stops. However, all the other
displays will function as before to provide information for ascent. You should immediately
ascend to a depth of 3 to 6 m [10 to 20 ft] and remain at this depth until air
supply limitations require you to surface.
After surfacing, you should not dive for a minimum of 48 hours. During the permanent​
Error Mode, the Er text will be displayed in the center window and the Planning Mode​
will be disabled."​
I have underlined the critical part.

I agree, but this sounds like a bug to me.

Never experienced that with my Suuntos.

The only one that went into lock mode was the Zoop. It failed to switch to dive mode when diving and after a while, it just displayed error. Battery was ok during the dive before, but later showed "low battery". Fortunately, I always dive with 2 computers and only one of them is on my MEL when buddy-diving.

How did they got locked out IN the water?
Obviously, getting the gas mix wrong is stupid and dangerous (PO2 indication and alerts will be wrong), but otherwise it shouldn't lock if followed, especially not in the water.

This is how (from the user manual for the DX):

Screenshot 2024-09-30 at 11.48.06 AM.png

So, if you are slightly above the stop for more than 3 minutes, the computer locks you out DURING THE DIVE.

Regards,

- brett

What a stupid thing for them to do.
I am not responsible for other people. I can give them my experience and recommendations but that is it. They followed the DM which is what got them locked out to begin with. Anyways, thread creep, so it is what it is. I would not any longer dive with a computer that would lock me out but on the other hand I would never get locked out because I set the correct mix, set my safety factor to my needs and dive within the limits thus provided. Others, their practices and results are their responsibility. Listen, there were two divers, diving without any computer. They alleged to be running tables (in Cozumel!!). Okay, crazy stuff.

but then you're outside your operating envelope, not anymore in a normal dive.

how should the algorithm continue?

Without putting a ton of thought into it, I would probably calculate your tissue off-gasing based upon your actual depth (even if that means you are above your stop) and continue to calculate the stops based on your gradient factors and tissue loading.

Pretty much anything is better than going into VIOL mode during a dive.

In fact, at least on Shearwater, you can see your theoretical ceiling (CEIL) which is generally above your stop depth because of the stop intervals at 3m/10' increments. E.g., when you are at your 30' stop, your CEIL could very well be 21' before it switches to your 20' stop. If you go above your stop but below your CEIL, you get a "Yellow" warning. If you go above the CEIL, you get a "Red" warning.

If I am on a 30' stop and my CEIL is 23', and I go to 29' for 3 minutes, should the computer just shut down and not show me any of the remaining stops?

Regards,

- brett

If I am on a 30' stop and my CEIL is 23', and I go to 29' for 3 minutes, should the computer just shut down and not show me any of the remaining stops?
But the remaining stops are calculated under the premise that you are able follow the decompression plan.
Hence the data becomes invalid. Question is also, would you be able to follow the remaining stops?

I honestly don't know what the best practice is for resolving decompression violation - what does the theory say?

As an NDL diver I wouldn't expect my computer to automagically offer a resolution to this issue. If that happens, I probably have a lot worse problems to deal with at that moment as I've already failed to follow both floor and ceiling restrictions for an extended time.

but is this copium or sound medical advice?
It is the best you can do under the circumstances. Far better than just being locked out and told to go spend the rest of your gas at a safety stop. The Suunto approach is outdated. It is the same advice given if you overstay your NDL while using tables.

A couple I met this trip just a few days ago who were diving Nitrox 32% with air set in their computers and got locked out in the water. I tried to explain to them the illogical concept of tricking your computer as a safety pad but it went in one ear and out the other. So they just continued to dive with nothing.
Sheesh. Well, at least you tried to help. Some people just can't be helped.

Really makes me wonder, though. Why did they buy the computers if they aren't actually going to use them? While I'm not a fan of lying to your computer by setting to Air when diving NX32, I understand why some do. However, if you then just ignore the warnings and guidance of the computer, what good is it. I just can't understand the reasoning there.

Back
Top Bottom