Dive Computer Buying help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFDiver85 once bubbled...
So far I've been getting very mixed opinions. Some are telling me to hell with LP, and others say to hell with LDS. What is the main difference for you folks, and why are there such varied opinions? The thing I like about the LDS is I can talk to someone in person that might give me a better idea of what I want. Is LP any better?

What exactly is it that scares you about LP? Frankly, for recreational diving including nitrox, there are a handful of units that are very capable of providing you with wonderful service. We all have our favorites and their are different reasons for those prefrences.

If you like one on one personal selling and that makes you more comfortable about your purchase then buy at the LDS. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, the vast majority of the LDS want to sell you one of THEIR products......that's their job. Why would they have you walk in off the street only to have them suggest a product they don't sell. The problem that I have with the LDS' that I have been in have uneducated...about diving, young, barely over minimum wage sales staff. Their are exceptions but not many. Hell, I will feel better about making my own decision than having them make it for me. Every LDS that I have darkened their doorsteep has always thought.....or said, that the products they carry are the best. Are they selling them because the truely believe that or because those were the only brands available to them as a retail merchant. Well, your going to get about as many opinions on that as there are products available.

Bottom line, if you desire the personal touch of the LDS then buy from them. If you don't and you have a problem then you'll be biased against LP and blame them.

IMO........

What about servicing when buying from LP? do you have to send it back to them for service or can any dive shop do it?

Don Lavanty once bubbled...
What about servicing when buying from LP? do you have to send it back to them for service or can any dive shop do it?

LP has their own warranty. Since they are not an authorized dealer for most of what they sell, if anything, they provide you with their warranty. You can obtain a copy of this document on their website I believe. You send unit back to them for service. LDS do not honor this warranty.

Other than replacing the battery, which you should be able to handle yourself with a bit of care.

UCFDiver85 once bubbled...
Another question....I'm a newly certified diver....would a wrist mount or console be a better investment. Also, is there anything that a console can do that a wrist mount can't? Any price differences?

To answer your first question, my old dive computer died last year and after shopping around, I replaced it with a Suunto Vyper, console mount. It should be within your price range if you shop around. FWIW, I wouldn't buy a UWATEC because they've done poorly with their product safety recalls IMO.

Insofar as your question of wrist-vs-console, I prefer console. There's a couple of reasons for this.

First, you're going to have a console anyway, unless you're going to go with a statistically less reliable and always more expensive hoseless AI computer. As such, the question then becomes "why not put everything in one spot?"

Some people will correctly point out that an "everything" console can get pretty huge. This is true, but you can also avoid this by keeping it in mind while shopping....and if you like the Suunto, consider the air-integrated Cobra, which makes for a smaller console package (BTW, Suunto offers a console-integrated compass...it goes together well).

Now some wrist advocates will claim they like wrist better for various reasons, with one of the more common ones being the IMO lame "dragging console" excuse. Well, if you have a console for your SPG anyway, yoiu're going to have the "draggy problem" that needs solving anyway, and figuring out how to best clip up a console isn't hard or expensive.

Insofar as things that "a console can do that a wrist can't", the simple answer is that there's really not much of a difference. IMO, I like the consolidation of information organization to one location, because what I've found with a console is that whenever I think about checking one of my gages, the presence of the rest of them means that I end up checking them all, and IMO that's a good thing.

Wrist mounts can also get in the way if you bug hunt and need to reach into holes without getting your hand jambed. But what personally bothers me the most about wrist mounts is that they are one more loose piece of gear topside that I need to not accidentally misplace or lose...or get mixed up with my buddy who has the same make/model.

Its really what I've seen happen to wristmount dive computers over the years that makes me reluctant to change:

1) An unsecured wristmount that leaped to the deck when the diveboat started to roll, and it skiddered for the transom, to try to make a solo dive to the bottom (fortunately, we grabbed it in time).

2) "Same model" confusion: two divers accidentally put on each other's wristmount computer and almost start their second dive with each others' residual nitrogen profiles. The only reason that the problem was detected before the dive was because of a break in the wrist strap that the one diver said "Hey, what's this?"

3) "It was there when I went in the water!" broken wriststrap (complete loss).

4) Any time the diver's wearing thermal protection, the wristmout dive computer has to be put on after the top's been put on...you can't put it on early and then expect to stick your arm through a (non-zippered) wetsuit sleeve, or through a drysuit seal. This restriction constrains the order in which you prepare for your dive and it is one more workload task that can only be done at "the last minute", and needs to be weighed against putting your suit on too early and overheating. The less rushed you are in your gear setups, the less likely you are to make a mistake, so I say "Wrist Mount? No thanks!"

But its your choice.

-hh

i agree -hh you are right on about everything you said. i feel the console is always there and more rugged. the only advantage i see of the wrist is when asending it is easier to watch your depth while holding on to an anchor line or dumping air from your BC. its a little easier to check the computer NDL on the wrist. i rather have the console then forget to put on the wrist model or break the watch band pins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom