Dive Computer Buying help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFDiver85

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a dive computer, and I'm trading my gauges in. I need some suggestions on a realiable computer that will perform alot of tasks and help me out, within the price range of 250-400$. This may seem low to most people but I'm on a college budget and have little room to spare for money. Any suggestions would be great though!

If you dont mind buying from leisurepro.com, (to stay within budget), I recomend the Suunto Vyper!

Another question....I'm a newly certified diver....would a wrist mount or console be a better investment. Also, is there anything that a console can do that a wrist mount can't? Any price differences?

I prefer a wrist mount, AI (air integrated) computer.

If you want AI, and are on a budget then a console will be more affordable than a wrist mounted hoseless transmission.

Other than that...no a wrist can do anything a console can.

You should try to try both types out at your LDS before plunkin down your hard earned cash!

I prefer a wrist mount, and I have non-AI.

Please do not use the LDS for info and then buy online...If you use LDS, buy LDS.

That being said, I researched online and bought online, saving a few hundred...

I've got the Suunto Vyper and love it.

I like the Sherwood Wisdom , I had a Cobra but sold it for the Wisdom , easier to use and read . You can also turn alarms on or off. I have had a great time diving with it. :thumb: But I highly recommed buying from your LDS , to hell with LP

scubasean once bubbled...
I prefer a wrist mount, and I have non-AI.

Please do not use the LDS for info and then buy online...If you use LDS, buy LDS.

That being said, I researched online and bought online, saving a few hundred...

I've got the Suunto Vyper and love it.

Scubasean is right. There is plenty of info available on the internet and this board to make your decison without wasting the LDS' time. They will more than likely tell you that you need the computer THEY SELL anyway. Vyper was always going to be my choice but I went with the Versa Pro instead. Not quite as conservative and easy to use. Can't go wrong with either especially if use LP. Both are under $300 for writst mount.

So far I've been getting very mixed opinions. Some are telling me to hell with LP, and others say to hell with LDS. What is the main difference for you folks, and why are there such varied opinions? The thing I like about the LDS is I can talk to someone in person that might give me a better idea of what I want. Is LP any better?

It depends on what is important to you. If you go to an LDS and they spend the time to help you by showing you what is available and answering all your questions about what features to look for etc.... you may as well buy from them. It will be more expensive, but then again, you are paying for the service and advice. If you feel you can do all your own research, go buy from LP and save a few bucks, if you don't ever feel you would benefit now or in the future from having someone give you advice on your computer. Also, if you buy a Vyper from LP, there is no manufacturer's warranty. It is replaced by LP's own warranty.

I 100% totally agree! If you utilize a LDS for information and guidance...please purchase from them!

95% of my equipment is purchased from various LDS's, I only purchase online when buying something I already know I want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom