Dive Computer advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

/
sorry gang - I need to ask one more dumb question - since I'm also now considering getting my own bcd and reg set, does it make more sense to go with a console type computer? Seems like a streamlined option to me....
Personal preference. Some like consoles, some like wrist. I’ve used console in the past, but prefer wrist. A console is usually bulkier than a standalone SPG.
in fact - all in, this package amounts to getting the entire set for $800 if I opt for the console and NOT get a peregrine.....ok, my mind is kinda reeling. lol
Packages usually aren’t the best, though I can see how it can certainly be tempting at that price. I’m not familiar with that regulator, but it appears to be a base model. Not sure if it’s balanced. Generally, I’m not a fan of that 1st stage configuration. Results in less than optimal hose routing.

Also, with a reg, make sure you can get it serviced locally.

I use Shearwater watch style computer. You need a watch on vacation anyways. And you don't have to worry about theft if it's on your wrist.

A quality computer will help maximize your time in the water. Especially with only rare trips.

Avoid consoles. And combos.

I use Shearwater watch style computer. You need a watch on vacation anyways. And you don't have to worry about theft if it's on your wrist.

A quality computer will help maximize your time in the water. Especially with only rare trips.

Avoid consoles. And combos.

who needs a watch on vacation?

I have my phone handy at all times. That will tell me the time. Why would I need a watch?

Haha.

So my flight got in a little late. When you board the cruise ship late, you miss the safety meeting.

So you get a nastygram on your door telling you there's a make up safety meeting at 800 next morning.

I set my phones alarm.

My phone goes nuts in the middle of the night. Alarm on, then off. Back to sleep.

Wake up and check time........7:45! Frack. Jump into yesterday's clothes and rush out the door. Half dead and greasy airplane feeling.

Halls and stairs of the ship are oddly empty for 7:45.

Compu map thing by elevator reads 3:00am.

Smart Phones apparently can't tell time without a signal, or it grabbed time from something it wasn't supposed to. You can't trust tarded companies like Verizon or T junk Mobile.

I turn off my phone when I board my plane, and never turn it on again.

Dive ops that need phone confirmation a day in advance, don't get my biz. If I book a day, 2 weeks in advance, just consider it booked.

sorry gang - I need to ask one more dumb question - since I'm also now considering getting my own bcd and reg set, does it make more sense to go with a console type computer? Seems like a streamlined option to me....

this seems like a bargoon;

It is highly inconvenient to monitor your depth and adjust your buoyancy with a console-mounted computer. Having it on your right wrist makes it easy to use your left hand to adjust your BCD while monitoring the computer.

Also, having it on your wrist where it is very easy to glance at will increase your awareness of your depth, time, and remaining NDL.

/

Personal preference. Some like consoles, some like wrist. I’ve used console in the past, but prefer wrist. A console is usually bulkier than a standalone SPG.

Packages usually aren’t the best, though I can see how it can certainly be tempting at that price. I’m not familiar with that regulator, but it appears to be a base model. Not sure if it’s balanced. Generally, I’m not a fan of that 1st stage configuration. Results in less than optimal hose routing.

Also, with a reg, make sure you can get it serviced locally.
thanks for the thoughts - I really have no clue what I'm doing with gear so it's a bit like throwing darts...I'd like to avoid having to buy twice because I made a silly mistake. Cheers.

It is highly inconvenient to monitor your depth and adjust your buoyancy with a console-mounted computer. Having it on your right wrist makes it easy to use your left hand to adjust your BCD while monitoring the computer.

Also, having it on your wrist where it is very easy to glance at will increase your awareness of your depth, time, and remaining NDL.
very good point sir - I'm thinking from a midset that wants to reduce clutter but sometimes that's not always the best way to go. I take your point about it being on your wrist. I guess there's a reason I haven't seen many consoles out there...

Personally, I'd keep it simple & a low outlay initially. You don't know how much diving you'll be doing, for one thing.

At first, I'd go for a wrist mounted computer - you always know where it is and easy to watch as you ascend. And a simple one.

In many ways, your BC is the most important as it comes with lots of options and fittings. Loads available secondhand - at least, that's the case in the UK. Buying - blow it up and see if it stays blown up. Inflate from a reg and check that it doesn't keep inflating. Check dumps. Look it over carefully for wear & tear. See how it feels.
Then, there's not much to go wrong - most common issue is the schrader valve on the inflator leaking air in. V simple & cheap to fix - and you're one step to understanding your kit better.

Lots of talk about regulators - but virtually any regulator sold in the last 10 years is good. Maybe find one that someone has bought, used a bit & then decided diving ain't for them? You might feel more comfortable having it serviced - but I recently read an excellent guide on SB to checking your own reg over.
I'd stick with a major brand for serviceability - and resale....

If you prefer buying new, that Hog package for $800 looks OK (although I'm unfamiliar with US prices). I'd avoid the SEAC computers - they are a decent 2nd line Italian manufacturer, but new to computers and, from reviews, seem to have a leakage issue.

Finally...... It's worth a quick look at Amazon - at least in the UK, they have some bizarre pricing anomalies. I saw a decent looking Cressi BC recently where one size was half the cost of the others. And Amazon warehouse (their returns section, at least in Europe) can have spectacular bargains.

Personally, I'd keep it simple & a low outlay initially. You don't know how much diving you'll be doing, for one thing.

At first, I'd go for a wrist mounted computer - you always know where it is and easy to watch as you ascend. And a simple one.

In many ways, your BC is the most important as it comes with lots of options and fittings. Loads available secondhand - at least, that's the case in the UK. Buying - blow it up and see if it stays blown up. Inflate from a reg and check that it doesn't keep inflating. Check dumps. Look it over carefully for wear & tear. See how it feels.
Then, there's not much to go wrong - most common issue is the schrader valve on the inflator leaking air in. V simple & cheap to fix - and you're one step to understanding your kit better.

Lots of talk about regulators - but virtually any regulator sold in the last 10 years is good. Maybe find one that someone has bought, used a bit & then decided diving ain't for them? You might feel more comfortable having it serviced - but I recently read an excellent guide on SB to checking your own reg over.
I'd stick with a major brand for serviceability - and resale....

If you prefer buying new, that Hog package for $800 looks OK (although I'm unfamiliar with US prices). I'd avoid the SEAC computers - they are a decent 2nd line Italian manufacturer, but new to computers and, from reviews, seem to have a leakage issue.

Finally...... It's worth a quick look at Amazon - at least in the UK, they have some bizarre pricing anomalies. I saw a decent looking Cressi BC recently where one size was half the cost of the others. And Amazon warehouse (their returns section, at least in Europe) can have spectacular bargains.
thanks again for your time. It seems like a decent wrist computer as recommended here is either $400 or $700 in Canada so it's looking like the peregrine is still in the mix.

One note; I was looking at the hog package mostly because it has a good reputaion and the bc is a travel version. Most of my diving is done in the caribbean so this stuff needs to pack light and easy. Cheers.

Couple things.

You need an $800 computer like a hole in the head.

You don't even own your own regulator or BC

You can buy a rubbery wristwatch band that one can take the dive computer out of the console and put it on your wrist.

You can get a perfectly good used dive computer with big numbers for around $180 on ebay. For example Aqualung i300. My reading glasses are +2.00 and this computer is fine for my eyes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom