dive centres in phuket for myanmar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does all the dive centres in phuket organize safari diving to myanmar, (mergui, burma banks etc...) or only a few specialized ones ?
Any recommendations from where to start, I mean is phuket the closest place to find these trips or is there an other city closer to myanmar ?

Hi,
Most boats depart from either Phuket or Khao Lak. Some depart from Ranong but it is a bit more difficult to get to.
Its easy to fly to Phuket Airport before and after your departure.
There are only a few boats that make the trip to Burma - here is an idea Bruma liveaboards.
When did you plan to join the cruise?

Most of the boats will depart from Ranong, but transfers from Phuket will be included.

Personally i would recommend you to make a trip to the Similans in stead of Burma/Mergui, see also this thread.

I was already in similan in january but not in Richelieu that I didn't have the time to do. Will do it probably from february, then I was also thinking about myanmar, but it seems out of price, isn't it ?
Are the boats doing all the dive spots in once in myanmar or only a part of it ? Which ones would you recommend ?
I am not looking for the most luxury one as I am a travelling as a backpacker, so cheapest one if possible as I might be alone. Any recommended price ?
Otherwise I just checked the prices of http://www.divetheworldliveaboards.com/tp/liveaboard-burma-mermaid-i-prices.php, seriously, aren't they exaggerated a bit ? I spend 3 weeks - 1 month in the maldives for that price.

Are these the only 3 options to get to myanmar, and which one would be the best ? Are all the tour operators doing the same trip ?

Andaman Island
- Passage Island, Invisible Banks, Barren Island and Narcondam Island

Sth Burma/Similan
- Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, Burma Banks and South Mergui Archipelago

Sth Burma/Similan Safari
- Similan/Surin Island and Richelieu Rock, Burma Banks and South Mergui Archipelago

Last edited:
Thanks for that, but well, seems that they are all overpriced in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, but well, seems that they are all out overpriced in my opinion.

Agree. The wonderful Military junta in Myanmar (Burma) makes things difficult. In any case I have heard from several people that have done the Burma trip that it's no better then the Similan, Koh Bon , Koh Tachi , Richelieu Rock trip, which I have done several times and never get tired of.

Thanks for that, but well, seems that they are all out overpriced in my opinion.
I don't think the boats are overpriced, the distance require4s lots of gasoline on these trips. What also adds of course is the 200 US$ 'entrance fee' to Burma.

As mentioned earlier, I would not recommend a Burma trip at the moment.

I don't think the boats are overpriced, the distance require4s lots of gasoline on these trips. What also adds of course is the 200 US$ 'entrance fee' to Burma.

As mentioned earlier, I would not recommend a Burma trip at the moment.
Cmon, I don't think that the petrol is expensive in these countries, we're not in Europe.
So do you think that going to myanmar is not worth it or is it a good destination to see a lot of big stuff ?

Back
Top Bottom