Dive buddy for August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tristan.ak

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be down in Pacifica Ca for two weeks (August 8-24); I want to get a dozen dives logged and make the most of the location and the area. I know a little about the area mostly the geomorphology/geology (Im a student of Geology/Geography) and surf conditions. I did a lot of work with The Campbell Group in Fort Bragg a few years back and that was fun and I know some of the towns and beaches, but that was my per diving addiction.

My question for you kelpers is where are the dive spots are around Sf Bay or north of SF? I don't want to go stumbling around and drop in on Pedro Point and get over my head or something like that since I have some experience, but it is all in cold, poor vis, and somewhat protected coves in Alaska and I haven't done any surf entries other then fishing and swimming. I do cross rivers and rock climb, do normal Alaskan stuff minus the stigma of Sara Palin (sorry but I have to assert my Alaskaness and state we are not like her she is a fluke). About the planned trip: I am going to be driving up north to Fort Bragg and I want to get a few dives (gain a lot of experience/training) in at Fort Ross, Ocean Cove, Gerstle Cove, and any other cove that makes me double take and drool. So any suggestions or recommendations for dive spots? I would like a dive buddy... So anyone looking for a dive buddy Im open. I like maps, I use timers and tables, I do have a computer, I dive BP/W and maybe I will have a drysuit or for the first time dive wet.

This could go on the personals section of Craiglist if I add some more.

Pacifica is close to Monterey and far from the North Coast, although you probably already know that. Most times the diving is better in Monterey/Carmel, and more reliable. The North Coast can be GREAT! and it can be poor. "Luck of the draw" comes to mind. With that said I mostly dive the North Coast since it is close. Pacifica is probably around 3.5 hours away. Fort Ross is one of my favorite dive sites, but you have to pack your gear down the hill, across the beach, then park your vehicle at the top of the hill. Gerstle has the best structure I have ever seen! Although it is far out beyond a reasonable kick dive. The access is easy since you can back your vehicle down to drop gear, then park at the top and it is a short walk back down to the boulder beach. Careful on the entry and exit as the rocks are slippery ankle busters. Still Water Cove is another popular dive site in Sonoma County. Of course Mendocino holds a bunch of awesome dive sites too.

Drysuit is the best way to go for diving the California coast.

A couple of curiosity questions come to mind. How many cold water dives do you have so far? Do you dive a long hose bungee backup setup?

I dive the standard rec kit for now, but I don't have a drysuit and its been impossible to find one to rent in SF bay area. I have logged 10 cold water dives at 28-30F with 10-5 foot viz at a average depth of 50-60 feet and around 40 minute bottom times, all solo dives since no diver wanted to swim out with snow and some ice on the water. This week Im going to do a few more so i will have 20 dives, but they will be in lakes and rivers. Hit the reason for a buddy to get a good feel for the area.

One of the bay area shops does rent drysuits, but I've forgotten which. Perhaps Aquarius or Bamboo Reef in Monterey?

Diver dans rents drysuits dui trilam if you are looking for a buddy in Monterey IM off work and looking to do some midweek diving if your interested in Monterey at all
Mike

Hit me up... I'd love to dive Carmel (Monestary Beach or Pt. Lobos) with you. If you want to go to Gerstle Cove mentioned earlier I've been there as well. There is abundant sea life there as it's a protected area... sea urchin the size of your head, red abalone 9-11", ling and rock cod galore...

Monestary is a tough (advanced) entry that can get dangerous, however, between 60 and 90 feet is again some spectacular diving.

Pt. Lobos is right around the corner from Monestary and is also protected. Weekend diving requires reservations as they only allow 15 dive groups. Weekdays you can pretty much drive in and dive.

Chris

Pretty sure Bamboo Reef rents drysuits, and they have 4 locations (SF, Monterey, Marin, Sonoma).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom