Dive buddies wanted for early weekday morning diving at West Bank Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgiaWrecker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello, I'm newly certified on the Evolution+ electronic closed circuit rebreather. (In my open circuit life I'm a PADI Divermaster and advanced trimix diver.) I'm looking for a few more buddies whose schedules would permit meeting at WBP at 7:00 a.m. some weekday mornings to dive, just for fun and experience. Open circuit divers welcome! I'm just looking to gain more experience on the rebreather under a variety of conditions. (My wife and I have four young children, so I try to reserve the weekends for family.)

Another Evo diver and I go to ~120 ffw about halfway between the southern spit of WBP and the riprap of Buford dam, which is a pretty neat dive, but we certainly don't have to go that deep on every dive. Let me know if you're interested!

My weekday schedule is pretty flexible and I can dive in the mornings. PM me and I will give you my cell number.

A group of us (two so far) are going to dive at West Bank Park at 8:00 a.m. this Friday morning, October 9th. Let me know if you're interested!

Nope, will be flying to California to dive Monterey kelp beds a Point Lobos....maybe next time!

Whats the viz like with all the rain?

It should be good below the thermocline now that everything has settled down. But come with us and see!

Jenny and I arrived at our beloved local mudhole a little after 8:00 a.m. The Forsyth County Fire Department Water Rescue Unit was on the scene at West Bank Park preparing to do some dive rescue training. We chatted with them briefly and then decided to dive the cove next to the tennis courts rather than the area with the view of the spillway and dam riprap.

We geared up and splashed—or rather trundled in—at 8:56 a.m. Me in all-Pinnacle exposure protection, 3mm Seal wetsuit and hood, both with Merino wool lining, gloves, and boots, and Jenny in her new 5mm. I was diving my Evolution+ rebreather, Jenny her Titan open-circuit rig.

Visibility was excellent (for Lake Lanier) above the thermocline, easily 15 ft. and water temp was a balmy 72°F. As we descended below the thermocline (at about 40 ffw) towards our maximum depth of 70 ffw, the temperature dropped to 55°F, which was the coldest we recorded (on Sept. 4, when I dove the main river channel to 118 ffw, it got down to 50°F). The visibility below the thermocline was pitiful, 5 ft. at best. I had clipped my Manta reel to one of the shallow platforms to provide a navigation line, and we mucked around for a half hour or so bumping into the trees. Jenny would later say my light (a 12-watt H.I.D. canister from OMS) and my bright yellow Evo box were the only things she could see!

Despite our best efforts to stay together, we got separated. But both of us followed the rules and surfaced after searching for each other for one minute, and we reunited on the surface. We then ducked back down for an easy nine-minute mini-dive to take us back to shore so Jenny could change cylinders and have a bit of surface interval.

On our second dive we went back to the cold and dark for a bit, but soon came back above the thermocline and did some clean up. Our treasure haul: Pabst Blue Ribbon cans, Michelob bottles, some vintage Coca-Cola pop-top cans, and a pint liquor bottle (a pint, not 500ml) that I think is pretty old.

Our wetsuits held up pretty well; my 3mm dives more like a 5mm because of the excellent seals that barely allow any water exchange and the merino wool lining. But on any future closed-circuit dive where I plan to spent more than, say, 40 minutes below the thermocline, it's drysuit time.

Let's go again next week. Who's in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom