South Florida trip coming. No dive buddy, tips on that and schedule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must have a very understanding wife. :)

I keep asking her if she is ok with this plan and she keeps saying yes, so I guess I am pretty lucky lol.

Just confirmed 2 days for JDC. They are actually running a special which is pretty sweet. And they said they are running Christmas day too.

In Key Largo I use Horizon Divers, great operation and when I am solo I just use their guides for a small fee..... A big plus when getting a taste of the wrecks there as well...

In Key Largo I use Horizon Divers, great operation and when I am solo I just use their guides for a small fee..... A big plus when getting a taste of the wrecks there as well...

I called them but they wouldn't give me a price break when I told them I was bringing my own tanks and weights.

Use the tanks they have and save the cost of filling yours.

With 100s and nitrox the cost savings of your own tanks really adds in the Keys. Particularly if you bring enough from home/the mainland to do all you dives.

I called them but they wouldn't give me a price break when I told them I was bringing my own tanks and weights.
Like MaxE said just use theirs, thats what I do when using them. They do not have 100's i do not think, BUT they just got some big azz heavy LP 95's that will last you a lifetime lol

With 100s and nitrox the cost savings of your own tanks really adds in the Keys. Particularly if you bring enough from home/the mainland to do all you dives.

I think under most circumstances this would be the way to go. Here is where I am coming from though:

I am bringing 2x 120s and 2x 100s. Maybe this is crazy but I am new enough to the sport that I want to try and keep my kit as consistent as possible right now. When I was first learning I kept chnanging tanks, BCs, Wetsuits you name it and it was annoying. I recently did a dive where I really focused on dialing in my weight with those two tanks as well. So if I can keep them the same it's one less thing to worry about. I've been using both of these at home and I really like the way they feel. And my LDS does nitrox fills for $10 so I can bring down 4 filled tanks.

I think under most circumstances this would be the way to go. Here is where I am coming from though:

I am bringing 2x 120s and 2x 100s. Maybe this is crazy but I am new enough to the sport that I want to try and keep my kit as consistent as possible right now. When I was first learning I kept chnanging tanks, BCs, Wetsuits you name it and it was annoying. I recently did a dive where I really focused on dialing in my weight with those two tanks as well. So if I can keep them the same it's one less thing to worry about. I've been using both of these at home and I really like the way they feel. And my LDS does nitrox fills for $10 so I can bring down 4 filled tanks.

I dive HP 100’s so totally get where your coming from. But if you travel to dive you will be diving Al 80’s about always so there is value to learning to dive them. The cost of fills is relevant. If you bring your own tanks and pay $10 a tank to filll them and the boat gives you a $20 discount it’s really a wash. It’s your honeymoon, let them deal with the tanks. Spend the extra time you would otherwise waste getting fills with your bride.

I agree that one should know how to dive al80s.

But the prices in the keys is quite expensive, upgrading to 100s is $5-10 a tank if they have them. Nitrox is $10 a tank, sometimes $15 if HP100s. And that is on top of the $5-10 each tank that is sometimes included in the dive price. So if you have the tanks, I say bring em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom