Dive Buddies and Air Monitoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great comments everyone, I love this message board stuff , but I can't get any work done!!! I think this is a new addiction, just like the sport

Great comments everyone, I love this message board stuff , but I can't get any work done!!! I think this is a new addiction, just like the sport

mccabejc:
Trust, yet verify. Or something like that.

Absolutely.

I dive with a lot of strangers (boats).

I have a non-standard signal that asks my buddy to check his SPG and signal OK.

I don't care what he has, I just wanna make sure he knows.

If he doesn't cooperate, I'll just grab it rudely and look myself.

Gets the idea across.

Keysdrifter454:
I have a non-standard signal that asks my buddy to check his SPG and signal OK.

I don't care what he has, I just wanna make sure he knows.
War story. On a night dive with a photographer I asked about his air. He signaled back OK, I asked again, same result, I asked again same result. I grabbed his SPG and looked myself. I had checked his air before and established a ratio of him to me. So I knew if I was at 1200 PSI he should be at 500 PSI or so. When I showed him his SPG he was quite surprised. He was guessing based upon his last look at his SPG and did not correctly take into acount the rate of swim, current we were fighting and the time elapsed since his last check. He thought he has 1000 PSI, he in fact was at 500 PSI (what I had figured) and considering we were a ways from shore still, we needed to start our free water ascent and 3 minute safety stop.

Moral of story. OK means what? I think I am OK? I have checked my SPG and think I am OK with 120 PSI at 130 FSW because I am a space case. In short, OK tells me nothing, I want to know how much air he has (factoring in tank size too) and the situation as I know it and then decide for myself if it is ok. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom