Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frantically? This is scubaboard so I'm guessing much like basically every other forum online it was more of an ask than a frantic request.

And you were shoving plastic bags around the shaft in the shaft log to stop it from leaking? Interesting story. Where did the packing go? Why didn't you just tighten the packing nut? What was the status of the hose between the packing nut and thru hull? Was it an oldschool log with packing or dripless seal? Why would you use plastic bags? Why didn't you have packing or even a toilet bowl ring?

You want me to carry around a toilet bowl ring for something that impossible to happen? LOL.

You want me to carry around a toilet bowl ring for something that impossible to happen? LOL.

So you don't know why a toilet bowl ring is valuable to have onboard?

We'll just move on from your comments now.

So this story is really really strange based on the person onboard. Stern to and the boat is sinking underneath them? No high water alarm?

This may have been linked previously, but I haven’t seen it. Here is the news report from 2012 about the Coral Princess (45 foot catamaran) that sank in Pompano in the inlet due to a rogue wave. This resulted in the death of one of the 21 divers on board.

So, there are a number of posts vilifying the business owning the boat. Major trend of such posts, the operation is not safe.

This is MY point of view: Well. I am a local and I was diving with them for a long while. I never seen anything unsafe. I am not saying they are perfect, I have certain gripes about rudeness, customer service, prices, and bottom time with them but none of my complaints is safety. I also did a number of tech dives with them that require much more awareness from a captain and most of such tech dives were from the now sunken boat. Yeah, the boat sucked, it smelled, it seemed to have frequent engine issues before covid, but again, I never felt unsafe. And from what I was told, during the covid downtime, they fixed the boat.

So, people raising panic here should be checked if they are qualified to understand what constitutes as unsafe on a scuba charter.

Just chiming in, I was frequently riding with this business and all was great safety-wise. Can a one-off happen? Sure. I don't know what happened in this instance and won't act like I know. But let us not fall into thinking somehow this accident was a coming based on their prior record.

So, there are a number of posts vilifying the business owning the boat. Major trend of such posts, the operation is not safe.

This is MY point of view: Well. I am a local and I was diving with them for a long while. I never seen anything unsafe. I am not saying they are perfect, I have certain gripes about rudeness, customer service, prices, and bottom time with them but none of my complaints is safety. I also did a number of tech dives with them that require much more awareness from a captain and most of such tech dives were from the now sunken boat. Yeah, the boat sucked, it smelled, it seemed to have frequent engine issues before covid, but again, I never felt unsafe. And from what I was told, during the covid downtime, they fixed the boat.

So, people raising panic here should be checked if they are qualified to understand what constitutes as unsafe on a scuba charter.

Just chiming in, I was frequently riding with this business and all was great safety-wise. Can a one-off happen? Sure. I don't know what happened in this instance and won't act like I know. But let us not fall into thinking somehow this accident was a coming based on their prior record.

People were saying the charter op that ran Conception (CA liveaboard boat fire that killed 30-something people) was safe before that incident, too.

I’ve never felt very confident about the cattlemaran hulls around SF. They just don’t seem like saltwater vessels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom