Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve never felt very confident about the cattlemaran hulls around SF. They just don’t seem like saltwater vessels.
I just took a look on their website, indeed they appear to be built based on a beach cat design. More for coastal dolphin tours, et cetera, not really an offshore vessel. But they are large platforms and cats and they don't go too far offshore, but I imagine they can't send it on mediocre days.

Those cats are run all over the world. The COI on the 45' Corinthian is 49 people. Not a good platform for rough inlets but very cost effective to get maximum amount of passengers a short distance.

Not a big fan of the stern tie in. Boats weren't designed to take waves to the stern. So it can be a rough experience. I prefer a bow tie with a granny line.

Might not have prevented this, but it just seems like a bad idea.

This may have been linked previously, but I haven’t seen it. Here is the news report from 2012 about the Coral Princess (45 foot catamaran) that sank in Pompano in the inlet due to a rogue wave. This resulted in the death of one of the 21 divers on board.

Rogue wave? hardly -- pilot error

Anyone know if the boat is being raised?

Anyone know if the boat is being raised?

I would be surprised if the state doesn't require the removal of the boat.

I would be surprised if the state doesn't require the removal of the boat.
That’s good. Wonder what kind of debris Field there is. Hope the diver who posted his experience gets his gear back.

I have stern tied 46 foot Newton boats countless times when the sea is flat calm.

It is more difficult to stern tie and is done so the divers can jump in and immediately be on the mooring line instead of having to swim to the front of the boat.

That's the real root of the problem. Half the guests on the rec trips are in such poor physical condition, there's no way they'd be able to get to the line without a stern tie. It's more dangerous for the captain not to do it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom