Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A final update. Yesterday I received the final installment of my reimbursement for items lost in the sinking. The dive shop's insurance company sent me a check about a month ago, less the deductible. I reasoned that I am not the client of the insurance company. The dive shop is, therefore the dive shop should pay that. After a few emails I convinced the owner to send me a check to cover that deductible. I have received it and will take it to the bank today. He also told me that the Safari Diver is up and running and "she will be back in service in a couple of weeks."

Who wants to take bets on how long it is before the boat is underwater again?

You could come to Florida and be a passenger. That way you can enjoy being in a wreck and not dive in warm water. Also good preparation for CCR as you’ll be a bubble watcher rather than a bubble maker. Assuming that it stays afloat, of course.

@elgringoperdido My guess is that will not be easy.
I was going to say that. Typically, the owner of the equipment makes a claim against their own insurance. The shop presumably has liability insurance, but I think that that is to protect the shop in the event of a legal action against them, although it may come in to play.

Interesting read though and I'm glad that there wasn't any injuries. Presumably the boat will be re-floated and some gear should be recoverable. I suppose if there is an upside, you were in your own country. Years ago, a friend was on a dive boat that sunk in Cozumel. His passport (and his wife's), wallet and other stuff went down with the boat. He was able to make a number of bounce trips to recover a bunch of stuff for other passengers, but earned himself a chamber ride for his trouble.

Presumably the boat will be re-floated and some gear should be recoverable.
The boat has apparently been in operation for months.

Who wants to take bets on how long it is before the boat is underwater again?
Many of these dive ops in S. Florida have zero business being on the water

I was going to say that. Typically, the owner of the equipment makes a claim against their own insurance. The shop presumably has liability insurance, but I think that that is to protect the shop in the event of a legal action against them, although it may come in to play.

Interesting read though and I'm glad that there wasn't any injuries. Presumably the boat will be re-floated and some gear should be recoverable. I suppose if there is an upside, you were in your own country. Years ago, a friend was on a dive boat that sunk in Cozumel. His passport (and his wife's), wallet and other stuff went down with the boat. He was able to make a number of bounce trips to recover a bunch of stuff for other passengers, but earned himself a chamber ride for his trouble.

I never carry my passport or wallet or much of anything important on a dive boat, especially in Coz. Usually not even a cell phone. I bring the tip cash, sunglasses, hat, shirt, and a hand towel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom