Dive Boat Sank???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's easy to say what you would have done when you have time to think about it, but I have a hard time seeing how I would agree to move into an enclosed area when there was trouble. I don't even like being in them when all is normal.

Agree. Going into an enclosed area should be avoided. There is a limit to what passengers should do. Some people may be willing to hop up along the cabin outside to mitigate water influx. Others a lesser action. At some point, people may have to make their own decision about actions to take to protect themselves.

KAMLOOPS - A Kamloops couple believe they were seconds from death during a scuba diving expedition in Mexico.
Diane Barry and her husband, Tim, were on a one-day diving excursion off the coast of Cozumel, Mexico, when one of the divers failed to surface.
The tour group was waiting aboard the boat while two other divers went down to search when Barry says without warning the small craft took on water and almost immediately listed heavily.
She says the captain abandoned the three divers below and tried to move the boat to shallower water but the engine flooded and the little vessel tipped on its side, trapping the Barrys and one other person in the cabin.
Barry says she thought she was about to die but her husband hammered open a cabin window and pushed her out, then followed, along with the third person.
All aboard survived last week's incident, floating for 90 minutes on a life jacket raft before being rescued, and the Kamloops couple has returned to Canada, but Barry says she doesn't know the fate of the missing diver or the two searchers.

How the hell did anybody float around for 90 minutes, where were they at Baracudda?

How the hell did anybody float around for 90 minutes, where were they at Baracudda?
I suspect her stopwatch was wrong, or she was guessing. 30 minutes could seem like 90.

It's a fishing boat. Chair in middle of deck, poles hung up. Not seaworthy for taking to the ocean, but - well...

That's not the way it is currently configured. The chair is not there and there are benches on the sides and in the middle for tanks/divers.

I am not a boat person but would this be considered a sea worthy boat in the USA? If not, would most divers accept it in Mexico?

We do all sorts of this to minimize scuba diving risks so shouldn't the boat meet accepted flotation standards if it can be shown that it did not?

I am not a boat person but would this be considered a sea worthy boat in the USA? If not, would most divers accept it in Mexico?

We do all sorts of this to minimize scuba diving risks so shouldn't the boat meet accepted flotation standards if it can be shown that it did not?

IMO, if a boat relies on conditions and handling being ideal not to sink, it's not seaworthy.

I am a bit late to the thread, but after reading the first 14 pages, I am going to jump in on the point of flotation devices.
The fact is that the best one IS the one you have with you, no matter how counterintuitive it may seem while sitting at home debating the physics.
It has been widely reported that a fisherman survived in the OCEAN off Long Island sound using his boots at flotation devices. For 12 hours. They saved his life (well he saved his life but could not have done it with his boots).
Ingenuity and a cool head can make anything that floats work in a dire situation.

Interesting note. Boats with heads are more dangerous than boats without. That fact should motivate the GF in another recent thread to work on her pee-in-water skills. If you get caught in the head while the boat sinks, not even a snorkeling vest will save you!
It's clear from this that diving in a drysuit will get you killed.

It's clear from this that diving in a drysuit will get you killed.

No, your quote is in fact referring to a wetsuit diving situation, not quite clear in this thread.

I am a bit late to the thread, but after reading the first 14 pages, I am going to jump in on the point of flotation devices.
The fact is that the best one IS the one you have with you, no matter how counterintuitive it may seem while sitting at home debating the physics.
It has been widely reported that a fisherman survived in the OCEAN off Long Island sound using his boots at flotation devices. For 12 hours. They saved his life (well he saved his life but could not have done it with his boots).
Ingenuity and a cool head can make anything that floats work in a dire situation.

Right-o.

Ingenuity can be the mother of salvation.

You can take your shirt or pants off, tie the legs in a not, inflate them with air and use them as a floatation device. That's survival 101 in just about any survival guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom