Dive Boat Etiquette for Newbies???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the great advice. tekdive girl, no worries about getting mal de mar...dive sites are quick run from shore thank GOD b/c normally, i do get quesy. one question about tipping...i'll be there for 10 days...have friends that work at 3 different dive ops..so won't be with one op the whole time..how much should i tip and when? each run is about $45 per tank..two tank dives about $70. thanks again

Shangrl:
thanks for all the great advice. tekdive girl, no worries about getting mal de mar...dive sites are quick run from shore thank GOD b/c normally, i do get quesy. one question about tipping...i'll be there for 10 days...have friends that work at 3 different dive ops..so won't be with one op the whole time..how much should i tip and when? each run is about $45 per tank..two tank dives about $70. thanks again

Well -- I am not sure how you are set up with your diving -- but you could opt to tip at the end of each trip since you say you are diving with 3 different ops -- on our boats we have a tip jar on the boat where customers can choose to tip into anonymously --- so we never know who tips -- nor how much --- as to how much -- there are different trains of thought here as well -- some people say 10% some people say $5/ tank -- it is really up to you.

Kimber

on a dive boat, no. i have snorkled off one before but if you are referring to a dive charter, then yes.

You did not say what you wore on your O/W dives. Just BC or a wetsuit ( 3/4 of full ). How much weight will depend on the type of wetsuit you will be using and what your weight is.

If your going to dive in a 3mil suit, I would add 4 pounds. This is a normal starting point. What you have to remember is: At your safety stop you HAVE to stay at 15 feet for minimum 3 minutes. Popping up to the surface and then going back down is a definite NO NO. It is better to have a few more pounds then not enough. As you get more experience, then you can start taking weight off a pound at a time to find your optimum weight.

Also, it is a good idea to remember the weight you use with and without a wetsuit. This way when your not diving with a wetsuit, then take the extra weight out of your BC.

Dive Safely

Joe

if you tend to get seasick, just be safe and take triptone, bonine, or dramamine. From my experience, they all work very well, but remember to take it more than an hour before you set foot on the boat. From what I know, they won't work AFTER you get sick.

But as you say, it's a short ride so you may not have to worry. Just keep it in mind when you go on longer trips. I've seen some pretty gross situations.. like 4 out of a family of 5 saying hello to breakfast.... all over the boat.

If there's a big bucket of fresh water on the boat, its probably a camera rinse tank. Make sure you don't dunk your mask in it to rinse off the defog.

Enjoy your trip!

Shangrl,

I've only been on a couple dive boats, but in both cases, I got "dressed" in the boat, and went topless during the SI. These were 10-12 person boats, though - haven't tried yet on a small boat.

Re: seasickness, I use these:

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/seabands.html

And they work pretty well. Apparently, they are good for morning sickness as well. :)

RE: tipping, I usually tip relatively high when I'm in a lesser developed country. I like to give $10-$15 a tank. Some people will say this is bad, as it will "raise expectations," but I feel like tips should be based on what it's worth to the giver - not what its worth to the recipient.

Riot

Yeah, i have been warned about the camera rinse tank...will watch out for that one! :)
Riot, thanks for the advice on tipping. I agree with you on your theory. Also, thanks to joe for the weighting advice. wearing a 3 mil full..I think it is a Bare Velocity. I feel like a manatee in it. haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom