Dive Boat Etiquette for Newbies???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shangrl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hello, recently certified and am excited about 1st dive trip next week but a bit nervous about what to do on dive boat. dive sites only 250 ft from shore by boat. do i put on wetsuit before i get on the boat with it rolled down so i don't oveheat? can't see trying to put it on boat. also, what to expect about dive brief etc? will tell DM i am new at this so they know what to expect. wore 6lbs of weight on freshwater. what will i use on saltwater dive? also will they tell me to use a weightbelt or can i use pockets on my BC? have a zeagle zena with integrated pockets. gracias for any advice.

Hey shangrl, ok firstly take a deep breath :).
Lol, ok I've only been on a few dive boats in terms of the size and class that you're referring to.

Letting the DM know that you're a newbie is advisable and makes things easier for everyone. You should also let your buddy know that you're a newbie.

Generally I only put on my wetsuit halfway until i'm kitting up on the boat and about to jump off.
And just to confirm your question, yes believe me, you will get hot pretty quickly in a wetsuit.
Dive brief generally would include details such as max depth, dive time, history of the dive site and the route that you're taking and maybe marine life that you'll likely see.

Some things to keep an ear out for are instructions for returning to the boat and the type of entry necessary to get off the boat. Generally with large boats you do a giant stride entry with smaller boats backward rolls or forward rolls are the norm.

Generally divers use more weight in saltwater due to the fact that it's more buoyant (consequence of all the dissolved salts in the water). Can't give you an exact figure on how much weight you'll need for saltwater, ballpark figure of maybe 9-10 pounds??

Use whatever method you're most comfortable with for storing your weights.
Weight belt or integrated weights are fine with most.

And finally just try to keep in mind what you were taught in your Open water course and have fun!!
I'm sure others will chime in with possibly more useful and detailed advice :14:

Where are you going by the way?

You don't provide any information as to what area you will be diving. If you expect that the weather will be hot, then you don't want to spend too much time inside your wetsuit. I suggest that you arrive at the boat in your bathing suit, bring your gear on board after they give you the ok; then assemble your gear. After your gear is assembled, then you can slip into your wetsuit. If you wear your wetsuit while you gear up you will probably work up a sweat. I know I would! As far as weight integration vs weight belt. You will find many options as to the benefits of both. I prefer weight integration. The choice is ultimately yours, no one will tell you what you should do in regard to weight belts versus weight pockets, even though the boat is likely to be supplying your weights. You will need more weight for salt water, there are formulas that are largely dependent on your weight, which will get you very close. I weigh about 195 lbs and I use 6 lbs more for saltwater. Enjoy your trip and stay cool!

jamdiver, thanks for the advice. going to grand turk. was there this past summer and loved it! wasn't certified at the time. came back and got my c card and bought another ticket down there along with all my fun new gear. will be on small boat. dive ops there generally take about 3-6 people out. alot of my friends work down there as DMs so am looking forward to coming back with my "kindergarten c card". took alot of kidding this past summer aabout WHY AREN'T YOU CERTIFIED so am happy about going back and partaking in the diving.

Shangrl:
hello, recently certified and am excited about 1st dive trip next week but a bit nervous about what to do on dive boat.
Congratulations
Shangrl:
dive sites only 250 ft from shore by boat. do i put on wetsuit before i get on the boat with it rolled down so i don't oveheat? can't see trying to put it on boat.
Ask about this one. I would put the suit on at the dock and dump some water down it to keep from overheating.
Shangrl:
also, what to expect about dive brief etc?
These vary widely, even on the same boat. They should tell you the depth, current, and any time restrictions.
Shangrl:
will tell DM i am new at this so they know what to expect. wore 6lbs of weight on freshwater. what will i use on saltwater dive?
The real answer is to take your weight in full gear, including weight, and divide by forty. That is how much you need to add. Round up any fraction.
Shangrl:
also will they tell me to use a weightbelt or can i use pockets on my BC? have a zeagle zena with integrated pockets.
I doubt they will tell you not to use integrated weight.

Practice gearing up and stripping down without taking up much space. Gear scattered all over the place on a boat is difficult for everyone.

thanks idocsteve. am a little apprehensive about maintaining buoancy. seemed to be the hardest thing to master when doing my OW cert. don't want to go shooting to the top of the surface. practiced in the diveshop pool this past weekend with my new gear.

Shangrl:
am a little apprehensive about maintaining buoancy. seemed to be the hardest thing to master when doing my OW cert. don't want to go shooting to the top of the surface

Just remember to take it easy on that BCD autoinflate button! Small bursts as needed to maintain your postion, whether it be level at your desired depth, or during a controlled descent. Give yourself a chance to stabilize with each burst before adding more, and don't use your autoinflate button as if it were an elevator button- fin your way up when it's time to ascend.

You are going to have a great time so relax -- first things first -- if you are prone to seasickness --- start by taking a dose of medicine -- the night before your trip -- then again in the morning. This makes all the difference in the world. If you wait until you are feeling sick - it is too late.

Be sure to drink a lot the day before and all that day to keep hydrated and don't forget to eat.

On trips where this is a short ride to the dive site -- we have our divers gear up in their exposure protection before we leave -- just to the waist. And start putting their bc/regulators together right away so it is done when we get to the site. On lomger rides out we give a 30 minute call to let them know it is time to put their exposure protection on.

Here in CA cold water diving where they wear 7mm wetsuits we tell divers to add about 6ish pounds from fresh water. This will vary from person to person of course depending on their body mass and comfort level in the water. I am unsure where you are diving and what kind of exposure protection you are using. Ask your DM -- S/he will be able to help you better. If you have a weight integrated BC there is no reason you can't use it.

Your dive briefing will go over how you exit/enter the boat - things about the site -- emergengy recall procedures etc. Be sure to listen.

Be sure to let your DM and buddy know that you are new. Most are glad to give you any help/advice that you need but they can't help you out of they aren't aware.

Also be sure to bring some cash to tip your boat crew if you feel they helped you out. Most new divers are not aware that this an industry standard and feel funny about it when they get through with a days diving and end up there with no cash.

Lasty have a great time -- boat diving is a blast! When you get home don't forget to write a dive report for us here at ScubaBoard! (-;

Kimber

Back
Top Bottom