"Dive" bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My travel livaboard rig-I stopped checking bags and have been able to travel only with a carry on with the following items:

Primary carry on(I use an Akona roller ruffle with compression straps):
  • BP with 23lb travel wing. QR harness.
  • Hollis FT2 travel fins
  • 1.5mm-3mm full wetsuit
  • Small safety sausage. No reel needed as most or all Caribbean locations I visit have little no current.
  • Dive shorts, rash guards, 2 t-shirts, 2 shorts.
  • All the above items are wrapped inside wetsuit and then compressed into oblivion to reduce overall size of the bag.
Small backpack:
  • Regs, computers, lights, spare batteries all goes into reg bag
  • Mask
  • Chargers, batteries
  • Misc small items
Everything else, I may need I know the livaboard boat has so I don't bother to bring it. Yeah, I'm taking a risk but I know the boats very well and never have I needed to rely on the boat for anything.

I used my Armor ballistic rolling backpack, was kind of a PITA given it had no pullout handle, but I frequently piggyback it on another regular luggage so it gets pulled by that one. We usually put 2 sets of gears in the bag, thus usually being right below the limit (maybe 60LB earlier on, then later right around 52-55LB). The fin pockets ripped frequently, once I did a quick sew up, looping the threads around the piping, losing alot of fin space. The last time, half the fin pocket ripped open, and it came back with a webbing holding the bag together that I usually see on tourist's luggages, which I never before knew why they would put it on. Contacted Armor on its lifetime warranty, and when they received it, they said the bag had a pretty good run, stitched the pocket back (losing lots of space for fins in the process), and implied its time to ditch the bag.

During the time the Armor bag was ripped, I got a Samsonite water resistant rolling duffel to put both sets of gears in, sometimes including my reg. It has the same advertised space of around 6000 cubic inches, but it was a very very tight fit, maybe those dive bag's fin, accessory and reg pockets didn't count as part of the interior space. It has stiffeners that allows the bag to stand upright and it folds flat, allowing the bag to be stored flat, good for LOB where we can tuck it somewhere instead of giving it to the crew (where in some cases, due to lack of storage space, they tie much of the dive luggages to the outside of the boat). Took it on a trip to an extended trip including LOB on the red sea, thus it being rolled around for quite a bit, but when we got back, the bottom slightly warped from the weight and the wheels were not parallel to each other anymore. Got it exchanged due to defect and reverted back to the Armor after it was repaired.

We later got a Cressi Mobi 5, thinking it would lighter than the Armor (it is not) because it is made of 300/400 denier instead of ballistic nylon like the Armor. Its fin pocket is tapered so it is smaller on top, thus not allowing us to put 2 fins with the foot pockets on opposing end, but I still can squeeze 2 fins in each pocket. It doesn't fold flat. Cressi logo is no big deal, since nobody knows what the heck Cressi is, and I can spot its my back from far away on the conveyor belt. Its larger size might make us inadvertently put more things in without knowing we are pass the weight limit. On our last trip (we sailed out and flew back, so couldn't weigh the bag while away from home), the bag was slightly over 60LB. I moved much of my carryon's things into my backpack to free up space so I can move a BC and wetsuit into it. The rolling carry-on became so heavy (between 40-50LB) and expanded so big, that during boarding, they said they would check it in for me due to its size (we gave them all our rolling carry-ons). After a few trips, nothing ripped so far, but I look at the fin pockets with some of its mesh like openings and I am wondering how long this would last. At least it doesn't have the pipings around all areas on the bag like the Armor, which I presume looks like good place to grab by the baggage handlers.

I did use to carry a pelican case for my camera, which I then emptied out and used as a dry case on boats, then went with a slightly smaller one, then when it became unfeasible to lug such a space wasting case, I got a rolling carryon camera case, put the empty pelican case in my other rolling carryon and stuffed my clothes in it, this way, I still have a drybox to dump things in. It my last trip, due to it being not a full dive trip, flight being domestic thus only checking in our single dive bag, I forgo'd the pelican and rolling camera case and wrapped my camera gear in clothes and put it in my backpack.

Last edited:
I usually just use my regular travel luggage for my scuba gear. Being in Canada I can get Heys luggage fairly cheap. I don't buy it at retail prices. If you check some of the mall luggage specific stores, they often have older Heys luggage which isn't moving. So they put it in sale. If you look at Fernando by Heys - FVT - 30 you can see the sort of bag I'd use. You can lock the zipper tabs (so they cannot pop the zipper without getting caught), they are think walls (so lots of space inside of them), the walls are polycarbonate composite (very hard to puncture). So it is like a duffel bag but hard to cut or puncture.

I used to travel 100+ times a year and these things have lasted me over 5 years and showing no sign of breaking. I think my previous Heys luggage lasted me 10 years. I use them for business travel or if I'm going on vacation.

I also have some things a little too bulky for carry-on (drysuit) but I want it in a hard case. So I ended up buying a Pelican Air 1615. It is lighter than the regular Pelican cases (less than 8.5 lbs), it is 62" total length and it can be locked (I use two American aluminum locks with hardened shackles). I use that for my drysuit and undergarments. I'll also throw in anything soft and won't hurt the drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom