"Dive" bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I just wanted to get some thoughts on several dive bags that I see in the market. In particular, the Stahlsac Caicos and Curacao, as well as other well-known names such as the Mares Cruise roller bag. I like that they are duffle-style roller bags.

I currently use a soft-sided "luggage" style bag and because it's light to begin with, I do not go beyond the 50lbs. limit, even if my bag is full. And in terms of size, it is definitely under the 62 inch linear limit for Air Canada (and many other airlines). So this bag works. But it's starting to get old and it needs to retire after a few more trips.

I've found that some bags are nice and big (i.e. a full 62" linear measurement) but if you fill that bag full, it's actually overweight. So that kind of doesn't make sense. So I've found that a bag under 62" linear measurement works the best, but then it doesn't fit everything that I need for a 1 week trip (i.e., 1 full set of scuba gear plus personal items). So, I'm thinking of adding a backpack for carry-on, where I can put my regulator and mask.

That's what I'm thinking will work. Does anyone have any suggestions? Recommendations on actual bags I can get will be helpful too.

When we first started diving we both bought carry-on sized pelicans and full size pelicans. What an expensive mistake! I still use my carry-on for the gear I won't part with (and it makes a great ottoman on wheels during layovers!), but the big pelican is too heavy to begin with! I'll be watching the responses here because I find that if I pack a 'regulation size' bag it practically begs me to overpack and is always pushing the 50 pound limit. The only dive gear I pack in my checked bag are my BC, boots, fins and a wetsuit. Everything else stays with me.

When we first started diving we both bought carry-on sized pelicans and full size pelicans. What an expensive mistake! I still use my carry-on for the gear I won't part with (and it makes a great ottoman on wheels during layovers!), but the big pelican is too heavy to begin with! I'll be watching the responses here because I find that if I pack a 'regulation size' bag it practically begs me to overpack and is always pushing the 50 pound limit. The only dive gear I pack in my checked bag are my BC, boots, fins and a wetsuit. Everything else stays with me.

Just had a look at the Pelican full size...whooaaa! That's a SERIOUS piece of luggage!

Avoid anything that is badged with a scuba manufacturer name or dive flags. Airport baggage handelers target them.

So would Stahlsac or Ogio be considered "dive branded"? They don't produce dive gear, just "gear bags". They seem to be good quality.

I’ve been using Armor bags for years for international travel.

I bought a generic roller bag where the bottom has a zipper.....two side zippers and one compartment on top.

In the bottom section I place my fins, BC, mask, snorkel and whatever else I can comfortably squeeze in...top center, all my clothe. Sides, shoes and sundries....I paid like $60.00 from Costco...there are many different models like the one I bought that you can choose....empty, this bag weighs in at 4 lbs....

Avoid anything that is badged with a scuba manufacturer name or dive flags. Airport baggage handelers target them.
Makes good sense. They are expensive as well, far more than a comparably sized Samsonite type roller suitcase. Luggage gets beat to hell anyway, I just picked up a cheap second hand semisoft roller bag in great shape. Black, like everyone else's. I just put a distinctive tag on it so I know which one is mine and it doesn't attract any attention.

When I checked bags on trips, I used the Mares Backpack Pro. I absolutely hated the fact that it's got a giant Mares logo with "Just Add Water" tagline on the bag. In any case, the Mares bags are great. I'm just the type of diver that does not like to advertise to anyone that I'm a diver. No more scuba-branded bags, t-shirts, and NEVER a dive sticker on my car.

No more scuba-branded bags, t-shirts, and NEVER a dive sticker on my car.

I'm curious about this. I have dive stickers on my car, and other than my husband making fun of me I've never had a comment about them. In fact, when I'm on the road I'm extra nice to people with dive stickers! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom