"Dive" bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think if people are going to get bag that's specifically made for travel scuba gear, there may not be an option to avoid the giant obnoxious logos that the manufacturers place on the bag. I've been traveling on livaboards for the past year with only carry ons for the past year so I'm at least always with my bag.

Most bags on the conveyor belt (~80%) are black Samsonite/Delsey-type wheeled luggage of a similar size (to maximize space without going over weight limits). They all look the same. I’m always afraid that someone will accidentally walk off with my luggage that looks like everyone else’s.

So I thought getting the ugliest luggage that doesn’t look like everyone else’s would help with that, like neon orange, bubble gum pink, plaid or something eye-catching. At least if someone tried to walk off with it, I can spot it from a ways away and run after it!

But now I’m gonna worry that if someone on the plane has the exact same ugly luggage as me, they’re gonna walk away with it in any event cause they think it’s theirs!

I’m going to have to stop worrying at some point and just get one.

Lets not confuse theft from cars with airport theft. Very different things. Certainly if you live in a lawless country, then yes you always take precautions and use common sense with a car (leave nothing in plain sight and don't advertise.

Airport theft is much different. The way they target bags, is not some logo or the type of bag, its by watching them go through X-ray. They know what bags to hit and what's inside them.

Regarding any luggage, yes certainly mark it. Basic travel 101 is tie coloured ribbons or use coloured duct tape to make it stand out (easier to see and people are less likely to pick up the wrong bag)

As for the bags themselves, if you're only an occasional traveller, buy cheap and toss it away after the trip.

If its your first time, again buy cheap until you figure out whats best for your kind of travel. Find one that suits teh way you want to pack. I throw all my gear in one big bag, I can't be faffed with pockets, others are different. I buy those padded camera bags from sport shop to protect Dive computer even small tools as they're light and cheap and stuff well into a bag

Big bags may look good, but they can be difficult to fit into the trunk of a non US car. A couple of smaller bags are easier, so if you are using taxis bear that in mind.

Big bags are heavy, think about the people that are going to move them - lighter bags get treated better.

If you need to move it outside the airport, some liveaboards you may need to drag the bag some distance. A bag that rolls well on a smooth floor may not on a outside road.l If you're taking multiple bags, think how you're going to move them without a trolley

My back pack is the most carefully chosen, it's one that is impossible for anyone to unzip when it's on your back. Generally this are targeted because they know they contain phones, computers wallets

I started using a full size Pellican this spring because I inherited one (literally). It does frequently exceed 50 lbs but with FF Status I can go to 70 lbs with no additional charge. Of course that only gets me near to some asian destinations and then I have to be within the 50 Lb limit on a local carrier and that has cost me on one trip where I had a gate agent that was a stickler for policy.

On the bright side I have not had any gear damaged by the gorilla baggage handlers since going to the pellican. In the past I have had gear damaged as well as bags themselves damaged by the airline baggage handlers.

I started using a full size Pellican this spring because I inherited one (literally). It does frequently exceed 50 lbs but with FF Status I can go to 70 lbs with no additional charge. Of course that only gets me near to some asian destinations and then I have to be within the 50 Lb limit on a local carrier and that has cost me on one trip where I had a gate agent that was a stickler for policy.

On the bright side I have not had any gear damaged by the gorilla baggage handlers since going to the pellican. In the past I have had gear damaged as well as bags themselves damaged by the airline baggage handlers.

I have no doubt that the Pelican is bulletproof. I just looked up the Pelican Vacationer, which is a check-in sized luggage that is an inch shy of the 62" linear maximum. Good for a week with dive gear for me. It weighs 19.6lbs. Until I am able to afford Business Class/First Class and have extra baggage limits, the Pelican would be out of the race for me.

It's a sweet piece of luggage though...

I use the Pelicans as hard bags on one of my motorcycles and they are waterproof and bullet proof! Amazing bags but I do believe the weight would interfere with allowable luggage.

One way around luggage fees...AMEX Platinum offers $200.00 credit in airline fees annually. Just select which airline you want the credit to apply too. Unfortunately, its limited to only one carrier and one can only change the carrier in January. Check with various CC companies, like a Delta card which offer TWO free checked bag per trip! Other cards may offer something similar?

I use the Pelicans as hard bags on one of my motorcycles and they are waterproof and bullet proof! Amazing bags but I do believe the weight would interfere with allowable luggage.

One way around luggage fees...AMEX Platinum offers $200.00 credit in airline fees annually. Just select which airline you want the credit to apply too. Unfortunately, its limited to only one carrier and one can only change the carrier in January. Check with various CC companies, like a Delta card which offer TWO free checked bag per trip! Other cards may offer something similar?

Good idea! I'm in the market for a new travel credit card anyways. I've only seen credit cards offering 1 piece of free luggage, and that's only for the cardholder. If I'm travelling with my husband, he has to pay for his. That's on flights that I paid the cheapest airfare for, that don't even include 1 free piece of luggage.

Good idea! I'm in the market for a new travel credit card anyways. I've only seen credit cards offering 1 piece of free luggage, and that's only for the cardholder. If I'm travelling with my husband, he has to pay for his. That's on flights that I paid the cheapest airfare for, that don't even include 1 free piece of luggage.

Chase Sapphire Reserve offers $300 in travel credit a year - that can be bridge tolls, parking, airline tickets, airline fees (including baggage), rental cars, etc. It is automatically credited when you make the charge and there is no applying it or manually requesting it. It gives you free global entry ($100 value every 5 years) and also gives you a free Priority Pass membership to access lounges all over the world. They also provide primary rental car coverage along with other great travel benefits. Lastly, you earn 3X points on travel and dining and 1X on everything else - yes - that means when you book that liveaboard, you get 3X points in addition to hotels, rental cars, toll, parking, airlines, etc. that you are already paying for. The annual fee is $450 but with all the benefits you net not very much for the actual annual fee.

I am based in San Francisco and flights out to southeast asia to go diving are regularly around $600-700. For award travel, this is often 80,000 miles through Star Alliance/United but through Chase's portal for the Sapphirer Reserve, I can book tickets for on average about 35,000 points instead. Additionally, you can also transfer to hotel and flight partners on a 1 to 1 ratio and maximize your points without locking it into any one program. It gives you the flexibility to shop around for the best deal if you want to use points for award travel then transfer to the airline or partner that gives you the best deal. It's a very crazy ecosystem but it is excellent value. Pair it with a Chase Freedom card and use that card for bonus categories only (5X points...normally it's 1X for non-bonus categories) plus using their Shop Through Chase portal and you can really make a killing on the points when you only redeem through the Chase Sapphire Preferred for travel. Go an extra step and also get a Chase Unlimited and you can charge everything else to that card since it offers 1.5 points per $1 spent.

PM me if you want more info - there are also great posts online about this lucrative system.

Chase Sapphire Reserve offers $300 in travel credit a year - that can be bridge tolls, parking, airline tickets, airline fees (including baggage), rental cars, etc. It is automatically credited when you make the charge and there is no applying it or manually requesting it. It gives you free global entry ($100 value every 5 years) and also gives you a free Priority Pass membership to access lounges all over the world. They also provide primary rental car coverage along with other great travel benefits. Lastly, you earn 3X points on travel and dining and 1X on everything else - yes - that means when you book that liveaboard, you get 3X points in addition to hotels, rental cars, toll, parking, airlines, etc. that you are already paying for. The annual fee is $450 but with all the benefits you net not very much for the actual annual fee.

I am based in San Francisco and flights out to southeast asia to go diving are regularly around $600-700. For award travel, this is often 80,000 miles through Star Alliance/United but through Chase's portal for the Sapphirer Reserve, I can book tickets for on average about 35,000 points instead. Additionally, you can also transfer to hotel and flight partners on a 1 to 1 ratio and maximize your points without locking it into any one program. It gives you the flexibility to shop around for the best deal if you want to use points for award travel then transfer to the airline or partner that gives you the best deal. It's a very crazy ecosystem but it is excellent value. Pair it with a Chase Freedom card and use that card for bonus categories only (5X points...normally it's 1X for non-bonus categories) plus using their Shop Through Chase portal and you can really make a killing on the points when you only redeem through the Chase Sapphire Preferred for travel. Go an extra step and also get a Chase Unlimited and you can charge everything else to that card since it offers 1.5 points per $1 spent.

PM me if you want more info - there are also great posts online about this lucrative system.

Can you see me drooling for this card? But alas, I am Canadian. I cannot get this card.

Back
Top Bottom